What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
This is a hometown band. My friend was married to the drummer.

I LOVE THIS SONG.

From 1966 - The 13th Floor Elevators - Splash 1 (I'm Home)

http://play.rhapsody.com/13thfloorelevators/thepsychedelicworldofthe13thfloorelevatorscd1/splash1original?pcode=rpshare_em&cpath=rpshare_em&from=sh_em&sh_em_tp=track
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Kinks - Lola This is the real version, there are more recent , "different" versions.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I was lucky enough to see Jimi Hendrix perform live at the Houston Colosseum.

Aww damn you oldies :wink: wish I was there.
 
"Mad World"- Gary Jules (remake)

"I'm bad" -Michael Jackson. Laugh all you want, MJ has sold almost a billion albums worldwide and OWNS the beatles.


"ace of spades" - Motorhead. Classic anthem for all the metal heads.


"What's Golden" -Jurassic 5. Best hip-hop group of all time


"We didn't start the fire"- Billie Joel. I'm always impressed whenever I hear this song. A ton of research must have been put into this song.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, Evo's link to Lola made me dig this up:

Now here's a real gem...my main man, Mark Knopfler:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Italian singer Spagna singing in English

Easy Lady

There were a lot of Italian bands in the 80s who sang in English, some of which formed the core of the so-called Italo Disco, great stuff
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer -

Take A Pebble Beat Club (Live) - Shows the complexity of their music.


Keith Emerson has to the finest rock keyboardist of all time.

Still You Turn Me On


Barbarian


From the Beginning


Lucky Man (Greg Lake - Live)


Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man live


King Crimson - Epitaph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBcqhMoxRM&NR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly a song, but just beautiful anyway:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


One of my favourites, I have seen QOTSA live with Dave Grohl on drums at the Ozzfest in Milton Keynes bowl, I saw Ozzy with Tony Iomi doing paranoid etc as well.:smile:

Awesome was the first time I'd ever heard of them let alone seen them live.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Not exactly a song, but just beautiful anyway:


Exactly a song. :wink:

One of these 'forgotten themes'...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Emerson, Lake & Palmer -
I love Lucky Man.
 
Simon and Garfunkle are just great.

















My favourite. America.



and Pearl Jam are just incredibly good.





Creedence Clearwater Revival





Howlin' Wolf





Muddy Waters





Rolling stones





Bob Dylan





The Beatles





John lennon



The Who



Metallica







If you think capital punishment is any more than revenge watch this:smile:



Bach.



Strauss



Holst.



Sorry have to watch a tennis match here, can't find it anywhere else.



Ravel





Beethoven



Peer Gint



Prokofyev



Gershwin omfg is this good, theme music to Manhatten:Woody Allen



Tchaikovsky





I could go on all night :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Schrödinger's Dog said:
Simon and Garfunkle are just great.



They are, and amof, I just wanted to post El Condor Pasa ! :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
They are, and amof, I just wanted to post El Condor Pasa ! :smile:



Did I include this one, I forget?







Sorry too much good music to remember it all. Enjoy :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Schrödinger's Dog said:


Did I include this one, I forget?







Sorry too much good music to remember it all. Enjoy :smile:


Tenacious D.



This is just a tribute, but it is to the greatest song ever:-

EDIT: Beck: now you might not understand it: but you have a Devil's haircut in your mind. Schrödinger's Dog shut up and listen to good music.:smile:









Spin Doctors.



System of a down





watch and learn you metalheads.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like this one with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchells:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to 1971-1972 :biggrin:

From the Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge

Yes-Starship Trooper
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mBaRqZU-0PI

Yes-Siberian Kathru
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4B2BVjvfp8

I've Seen All Good People
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bvPyT-YGUIg

And You And I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H4Pspv2Gmq8


Wishbone Ash - Warrior


Wishbone Ash "The King Will Come" (1972)


Wishbone Ash King Will Come - alt (in 2005)



SANTANA - Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen - 1976
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2pbYDNhbca4


From 1971-1975
Blue Öyster Cult: Then Came the Last Days af May


Blue Öyster Cult: Cities on Flames with Rock and Roll


Unfortunately, there aren't too many videos from the early 70's. Most of what I find are performances from the 1990's or 2000's, and the live performances weren't as good as 20-30 years earlier. :frown:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
From 1971-1975
Blue Öyster Cult: Then Came the Last Days af May


Blue Öyster Cult: Cities on Flames with Rock and Roll


Hey, this band ROCKS ! Only heard of the name, but never knew they were so great!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
physics girl phd said:
I just discovered this band called Truckstop Honeymoon:
http://www.mikewest.net/truckstop_honeymoon/cds.html

Check out "Johnny and June" and "Delivery boy."

Oh, honeypie, that is right up my alley! Thank you!:cool:

Every heard Big Ugly Wheels by the Beat Farmers?


That's the late, legendary Country Dick Montana up front.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
Hey, this band ROCKS ! Only heard of the name, but never knew they were so great!
I saw them in the first show of the tour promoting their first album. Jimmy Page once said that Donald Roeser (Buck Dharma) was his favorite guitarist, and "Cities on Flame" sure brought that home. The concert was a triple bill - the Byrds, Blue Oyster Cult, and John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu orchestra. The Byrds came out first, which surprised the heck out of me, then B.O.C. came out and tore the place up. My ears were ringing when they left the stage and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to hear McLaughlin very well (nice electric jazz, like on his previous albums). No worries! He came out with a Les Paul plugged straight into 100 watts of Fender Twin Reverb, and I swear the volume was maxed. My girlfriend and I tore filters off her cigarettes and stuffed them in our ears. We were sitting in the front row with our legs under the risers, so we pretty much got max volume. Skip Batten (bassist for the Byrds) kept smiling and making eyes at my girlfriend - luckily she didn't reciprocate and go party with the band, since I paid for the tickets. :-p

BTW, a biker friend of mine in Providence is friends with Roeser and the other guys in B.O.C. and he kept teasing about bringing Roeser up to one of the blues jams I was hosting at a local tavern, so he could show me some REAL guitar-playing.
 
Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Skip Batten (bassist for the Byrds) kept smiling and making eyes at my girlfriend - luckily she didn't reciprocate and go party with the band, since I paid for the tickets. :-p

:smile: :smile:

Well, that must have been a great concert!

Btw, I just downloaded some of the BOC stuff, it's absolutely great. A total refreshment.

Edit: and I just realized they wrote Astronomy.
 
who sang the song that has the lyrics:

and the first time ever i kissed your lips i felt the earth...something something?

that is a good song!