What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 586K views
@ SW VandeCarr,
Thanks, always enjoy anything by Marcus Miller. It's usually an auditory treat when a bunch of really gifted musicians get together to do ... any sort of tune they feel like doing.

@phoenix:\\,
Thanks, I love driving, heavy rock done well. Which, imho, your latest offering from Smashing Pumpkins is.

@Byrons,
Thanks, although the Backstreet Boys might not be my first listening preference, they're certainly all wonderful singers. And I like the song.

Hadn't listened to any of these offerings before. So thanks for expanding my musical horizon.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cherub Rock is from the Siamese Dream album, the best thing Smashing Pumpkins ever did. That, and Soundgarden's Superunkown album, and Nirvana, were all I needed to get through the 90s, and rock has been going down hill ever since if you ask me. :P

http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-367864-1128444262.jpeg http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-409348-1150567266.jpeg http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-375979-1278225309.jpeg

Here's my pick for today.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Adyssa,
Thanks for the Muddy Waters tune. Unique and pioneering. One wishes that one might do something like this. But it's already been done, by guys like Muddy Waters.

Maybe there are examples in the subsequent musical history. I think there are. But this stuff is just so cool.
 
Marc Cohn performing "Paper Walls" live. It was always a crowd-pleaser at the taverns where I played. I tried unsuccessfully to fins a link to the album version, because he and his drummer had such clean breaks on every verse.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngdu12jepsg&feature=endscreen&NR=1
 
Gad said:
-tPKXC-zIIE[/youtube][/QUOTE] Very nice Gad Girl. :approve:
 
ThomasT said:
Why are they especially desirable? I don't know because I was never an electric guitar player of any notable skill. Played acoustic guitar for years. Dabbled with bass and many other instruments, then eventually got into keyboards ... which I really like because of the compositional capabilities.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's because of the tones/resonances that one can produce with the Les Pauls. Waiting for your elaboration.
Sorry for the delay Thomas - that just slipped by me. The early Les Pauls were tone-monsters. Lots of sustain (due to the heavy bodies and the solid necks). The bodies were solid mahogany with carved maple caps. And the PAF pickups were wonderful. Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac) had one with one of the pickup magnets reversed, giving a distinctive "scooped midrange" tone when both pickups were in use at the same time. (BB King said that Green's guitar tone gave him the cold sweats.) When Green was rejecting the music business, he sold that guitar for a pittance to Gary Moore, of Thin Lizzy.
 
dlgoff said:
Very nice Gad Girl. :approve:

I agree! Very Mo-Town sound - love it!
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzQPSN2FvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvx5QM8nrZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MPwQLyaiqw
 
turbo said:
Sorry for the delay Thomas - that just slipped by me. The early Les Pauls were tone-monsters. Lots of sustain (due to the heavy bodies and the solid necks). The bodies were solid mahogany with carved maple caps. And the PAF pickups were wonderful. Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac) had one with one of the pickup magnets reversed, giving a distinctive "scooped midrange" tone when both pickups were in use at the same time. (BB King said that Green's guitar tone gave him the cold sweats.) When Green was rejecting the music business, he sold that guitar for a pittance to Gary Moore, of Thin Lizzy.
Thanks turbo, the technical details of this are a bit over my head. But I think I basically understand.
 
@ Pythagorean, listening to the middle tune from your post #2291, which I like better than the first tune (which I also liked), and don't suppose I'll like the third tune from that post better than this one ... but I'll let you know. Really like this middle one. Rhythmically, tonally, quite musically entertaining ... for me at least.

Ok, now I'm listening to the third tune. Very nice. Somewhat complex, some surprises, but its essence, its theme, is quite simply musically pleasing ... to me anyway. Gegrüßet seist du technologie.
 
Yeah Cat Rats is one I can always listen to. Not necissarily my favorite, but I never don't feel like hearing it you know?
 
ThomasT said:
Thanks turbo, the technical details of this are a bit over my head. But I think I basically understand.
Back then, there were a couple of guitars that were dominant in Rock and Roll. One was the Fender Stratocaster. Ash body with bolt-on neck and single-coil pickups. The other was the Les Paul. (Solid mahogany body with carved maple cap and glued-in mahogany neck.) The Les Paul also had double-coil humbucking pickups that were quite resistant to line-noise, buzz from neon lights, etc. If you could stand wearing one on a strap all night (massive!) you could get pretty impressive tone and volume from the little amps of the day.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4PhQaQGh0

Rach III performed by Arcady Volodos and the best orchestra in the world.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
nevere said:
deftones - digital bath
deftones - house of flies

the whole adrenaline album was pretty good
 
excellent cover:



and the original (I like the cover better):

 
Last edited by a moderator:
77D7oi2Qy-Q[/youtube] I can't understand a word she says, it's amazing. :)
 


You won't understand a word she sings, but it is still amazing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Such arrogant and ignorant voice, but it is still amazing.I'd appreciate a translated lyrics to that song [if there's any], Borek.
 
Gad said:
I'd appreciate a translated lyrics to that song [if there's any], Borek.

In the waiting room at the PKP station
I like to sit sometimes
because where is the better place to wait

women with loads
completely drunken guys
and as usual on the station, some stink, sometimes crowd

don't ask me where do I go
whether I can afford a ticket
sitting and waiting is a natural state

sometimes I smoke a joint
and I fell great
there is no need to wait
as a train to sky carries me
​

I am sitting for hours, not hurrying anywhere
sometimes a guy like you accosts me
so sit with me on the PKP station
that's how the journey starts, who knows how it'll end

--
PKP is a Polish National Railway
train to sky can be a train to heaven, both meanings are correct
 
Beautiful lyrics [and translated well], Borek. Thanks!
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFV9jhdHu8

This show uses a lot of great classical music that fits wonderfully. This is probably my favorite example with one of my favorite songs.