What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
"Valerie" by the Monkees
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasT said:
Is this it? I don't get the martial arts, native American hints.



Interesting! I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before; at least, I've never seen it - one song released on two different 45s. I still have my old copy of One Tin Soldier, by Coven, on a 45, with Fire on the flip side. I always thought it was strange to not only have two different artists on a 45, but also such completely different genres of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswm7lHp7oY
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Interesting! I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before; at least, I've never seen it - one song released on two different 45s. I still have my old copy of One Tin Soldier, by Coven, on a 45, with Fire on the flip side. I always thought it was strange to not only have two different artists on a 45, but also such completely different genres of music.

You still have 45s? :eek:
 
lisab said:
You still have 45s? :eek:

I need them. The LP 78s don't play well anymore.

In fact, they are just mementos from my youth. I think the only one I've played in the last 20 years was a rare copy of something I wanted to preserve [linked] for its profound contribution to humanity, though I might have played a few once... not sure now... but if I did it was just for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJxLEbI96Y
 
OmCheeto said:
sounded perfect to me.

It does to me, as well (some people are just more particular than others).

I'm also somewhat smitten with these tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6q8OOVcg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xocFnv6sB_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQTkOP60bGg
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Interesting! I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before; at least, I've never seen it - one song released on two different 45s. I still have my old copy of One Tin Soldier, by Coven, on a 45, with Fire on the flip side. I always thought it was strange to not only have two different artists on a 45, but also such completely different genres of music.
This is most perplexing. Naturally, the first thing that came to mind, given your hints, was Billy Jack (I was thinking 'Ballad of Billy Jack', or 'Legend of Billy Jack' ... whatever). But that made no sense. So, looking a bit further, I found 'Rest Cure'.

I think your 45 might be worth some money to a collector. Is it in good condition?
 
I don't think the best song ever has been posted before.

1981, Anita Meijer.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
I think your 45 might be worth some money to a collector. Is it in good condition?

I'm not sure about the condition... probably rough. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a rare find. It always did seem odd.
 
I'm finally going to see Aphex Twin this evening, he's been on my list for a long time! Here's one of my favourites from him:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
I don't think the best song ever has been posted before.

1981, Anita Meijer.

Well, it's fun, it's saucy, it's got the beat. But I don't think we can have a disco tune as the best song ever. But then, this is the best songs ever thread. So, of course, this tune is a welcome addition.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Adyssa said:
I'm finally going to see Aphex Twin this evening, he's been on my list for a long time! Here's one of my favourites from him:

Another welcome addition. But, if I recall correctly, I did this tune, or something very much like it, in my basement about 50 years ago before I learned how to play ... anything. Just kidding. Nice club music, or whatever. As you can tell ... not my cup of tea. But there's no accounting for taste. Or is there? Probably not. But then ... :smile: Actually, I liked it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few 45s tucked away in a little case somewhere, and hundreds of LPs, some of which are quite rare or old. I have an original Buckingham/Nicks LP that didn't sell at all and ended up in cut-out bins before they were hired by Fleetwood Mac. I have two original copies of "Pure Prairie League" which was never re-released on CD for some reason, despite being the best of their catalog. There are many, many more. Some of the oldest LPs are by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers, and they originated with my great-uncle when I was just a little kid. None of this stuff is on YouTube, so I can't link it.
 
turbo said:
I have a few 45s tucked away in a little case somewhere, and hundreds of LPs, some of which are quite rare or old. I have an original Buckingham/Nicks LP that didn't sell at all and ended up in cut-out bins before they were hired by Fleetwood Mac. I have two original copies of "Pure Prairie League" which was never re-released on CD for some reason, despite being the best of their catalog. There are many, many more. Some of the oldest LPs are by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers, and they originated with my great-uncle when I was just a little kid. None of this stuff is on YouTube, so I can't link it.
That's a great stash. I've moved around so much that my original collections became ... disbursed.
 
Here's some oldish school metal that would make a few lists, I'm sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_E8tOkjrSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCyOWLrRTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rpoZE8X8Y
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqi3052TJB4

Simple love songs :!)
 
Here are a couple I listened to on the way into work. I would definitely put them at or near the top of some music lists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rPyQFmGmb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpCDVetLCM

(Cactus may well be the best love song ever)
 
This is an odd way to present a song, since it's not a YouTube feature, but Kenny Loggins has decided that he's not too old to dream and collaborate on making music. Very nice back-story, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kenny-loggins/a-million-to-one-shot-on-a-dream_b_1325247.html

Edit: Well, what do I know? There is a YouTube video of that live performance. I'll leave the Huffington feature linked, too, because there is a link to a free download of that song. the video is a montage of clips from a number of live performances, but it's tolerable.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just came across this tonight. Mbube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgJcXIz1L0
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

I love these guys