What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
CaptFirePanda said:
(Cactus may well be the best love song ever)
That's a difficult call to make. Personally, I've been a musician for quite a while. I listen to lots of music. And I've never heard this. Having now listened to it, do I like it? No. But there's no accounting for taste is there? However, some of the metal stuff you posted is among my favorites.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SHISHKABOB said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

I love these guys
Yeah, that was delightful, imho.
 
turbo said:
Mary Black's version is the best ever.

Yeah, this version is sublimely beautiful. One of my favorite tunes ever.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
SW VandeCarr said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGB5TKYf1B8
Great stuff, imho. I remember Milt Jackson as part of the Modern Jazz Quartet.
 
ThomasT said:
Great stuff, imho. I remember Milt Jackson as part of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

Yeah. I think this might be my absolute favorite piece of modern music. I want to check who's playing trumpet. Miles Davis did this as well but I don't know if he ever recorded with Milt Jackson.

I have to admit I've never heard of Mary Black, but I agree that that is a beautiful video both musically and visually. She reminds me of Joni Mitchell.
 
Last edited:
ThomasT said:
That's a difficult call to make. Personally, I've been a musician for quite a while. I listen to lots of music. And I've never heard this. Having now listened to it, do I like it? No. But there's no accounting for taste is there? However, some of the metal stuff you posted is among my favorites.
Cactus carries that generally dark nature that they are known for while, at the same time, it delivers the kind of longing that many people don't have the chance to feel for another human being. I'm quite aware that they aren't everybody's cup of tea, but I don't make those kind of statements lightly.

Pixies had a pretty huge impact on many bands/artists. David Bowie seems to be quite smitten with this song.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
I just came across this tonight. Mbube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgJcXIz1L0

This is great! :)
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBadAVsdixk

Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
1985
 
OmCheeto said:
Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
1985

Love that song. Loved it the first time I heard it, even.
 
He has not aged well. I love the sunburst LP, but could never afford one, these days. I can get by with what I've got, especially since I only play here at home for myself.
 
UGNPS6-G3EY[/youtube] I'm not religious, but I heard this song today, and really liked it.
 
One of the Dire Straits songs that came off much better live than in the studio...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joan Baez Copper Kettle

and has anyone posted this one?

The original Thomas Crown Affair - Windmills of your mind

 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Love that song. Loved it the first time I heard it, even.

As with many a song, I understood not a single word.

But I understood the message.
 


No need to watch the video - the music is A Happy Home in Kathmandu by Will Ackerman (founder of Windham Hill Records).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Der Spyra has produced some really interesting and different music over the years.

Their album Home Listening is Killing Clubs is very good.

A cut - Der Spyra - Subsequent Spaces -

Ebb -

Future of the Past -

The two best cuts Hypersonic and Iceland are not available.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I posted about a version of this song about 5 years ago in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUkEvXWk68c

Always With Me, Always With You shot live at the Grove in Anaheim, California, on May 02, 2006.
 
OmCheeto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBadAVsdixk

Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
1985
Thanks. I thought that was a nice rendition. Subtle. Maybe not perfect, but I really enjoyed it.
 
turbo said:
He has not aged well. I love the sunburst LP, but could never afford one, these days. I can get by with what I've got, especially since I only play here at home for myself.
Not sure what you mean by "not aged well". Also, what's the sunburst LP?
 
It would really suck if you guys didn't click on this video because of the title picture. Because it's quite possibly my favorite piano arrangement in ever.

y0325YkV-X0[/youtube]
 
Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit; Somebody to Love

Kantner, Slick and Frieberg: Across the Board; White Boy

Jefferson Starship: Ride the Tiger; Miracles; Stranger
 
ThomasT said:
... what's the sunburst LP?
Never mind, it suddenly came to me. While drooling. Duuh. :smile:
 
ThomasT said:
Never mind, it suddenly came to me. While drooling. Duuh. :smile:
Rock stars with lots of money can manage to buy vintage (late 50s) Les Pauls. The sunburst models with PAF (patent applied for) humbucking pickups are especially desirable.
 
Hi Evo,
Nice choice and I am a great fan of backstreet boys and usually play my favorite tracks while working online. This is one of my all time favorite track, hope you guys enjoy it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had a thing for the Smashing Pumpkins.

Cherub Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KE9lvU810
 
turbo said:
Rock stars with lots of money can manage to buy vintage (late 50s) Les Pauls. The sunburst models with PAF (patent applied for) humbucking pickups are especially desirable.
Why are they especially desirable? I don't know because I was never an electric guitar player of any notable skill. Played acoustic guitar for years. Dabbled with bass and many other instruments, then eventually got into keyboards ... which I really like because of the compositional capabilities.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's because of the tones/resonances that one can produce with the Les Pauls. Waiting for your elaboration.