What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 586K views
OmCheeto said:
I always blamed my love of Vivaldi on the fact that I started playing violin at the age of 8.

But I'm enamored by all stringed aficionados.

I often wonder where the appreciation of music comes from, from non-musically trained people. I can only imagine that it stimulates a different part of their brains.

When I hear Vivaldi, my brain dances. :smile:

I think that's what Vivaldi wanted your brain to do. It's interesting that many can appreciate good music, but relatively few can make good music.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma in L.A. 1994.
I've never seen a better performance of this; make sure you watch his face, especially near the end.

Pure frission.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
AJKing said:
Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma in L.A. 1994.
I've never seen a better performance of this; make sure you watch his face, especially near the end.

Pure frission.



Very impressive, but I have to say I'm not an opera fan. No criticism of opera intended. I just never got into it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any old Tomita fans? While taking a fair amount of artistic license he did "The Planets", by Holst, on a synthesizer. It was quite a unique undertaking at the time. Here is one track - Venus, the Bringer of Peace.

This is electronic music from 1976, kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMsyzyiHLQ

Jupiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDFocqYSrfE
 
Last edited:
I hope everyone is having a heavenly day (metaphorically speaking, of course :biggrin:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCcirAiA9w

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an oldie that has hung on. Stephen Hawking might even like it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Listen to Jackie now. This interview and performance is from last week. Just listen to the depth and richness her voice has acquired over the last year. She does one of our favorites songs :approve: but seems to be struggling with the timing a bit. I've noticed that she struggles sometimes when the orchestra isn't live and she has adjust for tempo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDESTjBNFGE
 
Best Trumpet mouth solo EVER! If you close your eyes you can not tell the difference!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Massar Egbari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkQx9QdmWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhbgvYbkBU

Massar Egbari - Addef


Massar Egbari - Ana Haweet


Egyptian Rock band from Alexandria that presents songs about social problems in a mix of rock, jazz and blues with an oriental touch presenting some of the most unique music in Egypt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Finally figure out that problem you were stumped on?

Victory-Punch-Dance to Guiseppe Verdi's Dies Irae


Best served loud.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Until 1:30 she sang this song while a little girl, then comes the dazzling mature voice of hers, singing the same song. Absolutely mellifluous. Not to mention the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dplPa1o7wc&feature=related&noredirect=1
 
Duffy, Warwick Avenue

A much better song than "Mercy" IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhZ5-L9znt8
 
Last edited:
U2 - Gloria - from their second album, October, in 1981.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyTdo1nGO0

It was one of their lowest charting singles, but I like the guitar riffs.
 
Speaking of Gloria, our little band use to play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaKQt4NqdA
 
I'm sure that i have posted this before, but this duet between Vince Gill and Allison Krause is so sweet, and it just popped up on my CD carousel.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
I'm sure that i have posted this before, but this duet between Vince Gill and Allison Krause is so sweet, and it just popped up on my CD carousel.


I didn't realize you enjoyed country too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
I didn't realize you enjoyed country too.
Oh, yeah! When I was a kid, my great-uncle would often come up to the house and ask me if I wanted to go for a ride. We would go up to the top of a high hill. We would tune in the AM radio to Wheeling West Virginia and listen to 50's country. He would buy me a bottle of Coke and buy himself a couple of bottles of Dawson or other cheap ale. We'd sit there, and enjoy the tunes.

Got to wait longer than daylight so that AM could get through.
 
Last edited:
Actually, when I was a kid, I was vacillating between Nashville country and the stuff being put out by Johnny Cash and others, which was more rock-a-billy. I'm older than dirt.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7NZ-6Ux0U&feature=related
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6sBJIjOj8

my mom used to play this song and others by Ben Folds Five in the car when I was much younger. I've found that it evokes some seriously powerful memories of just... sitting in a car driving through town at night with all the lights and people out doing stuff.

That's what I really love about music: how it can evoke such strangely powerful memories and emotions.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpq1kw3MXcE

because the search function on facebook sucks, and I couldn't remember my newest grandnephews name a bit of a while ago.

This song, although I can't understand all of the words, makes me want to cry.

A happy kind of cry though. I only cry when I'm happy. :smile:
 
I just recently "discovered" this song listening to last.fm radio and I've had it on repeat all night. So gorgeous.

Don McLean - Babylon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnspbSjKVc
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGwIXG3fzWs&feature=related
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4exOoCHkI

If I cry a thousand tears./
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaJfp2WQE8&feature=related

A quarter past wonderful. :)
 
OmCheeto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpq1kw3MXcE

This song, although I can't understand all of the words, makes me want to cry.

A happy kind of cry though. I only cry when I'm happy. :smile:

Great song. :) I've heard of these guys before, but I haven't dug very deep, I might do so now. I like your comment about crying even though you don't understand all the words. I love how music can resonate with a person like that. <3

Here's a song by Sigur Rós, a band from Iceland. I haven't the foggiest idea what they are singing about but they hit me right in the chest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LeQN249Jqw