What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 586K views
Adyssa said:
Great song. :) I've heard of these guys before, but I haven't dug very deep, I might do so now. I like your comment about crying even though you don't understand all the words. I love how music can resonate with a person like that. <3

Here's a song by elSigur Rós, a band from Iceland. I haven't the foggiest idea what they are singing about but they hit me right in the chest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LeQN249Jqw

What is really weird, is that I posted my "best song" before I watched yours.

elSigur Rós, and Icelanders, rock my boat(s). :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Video made for my brothers', Joel and Adam, 24th birthday about our dad, Ralph N. Grippo, who died Decemeber 1992 (he was buried on their 10th birthday). This song by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, he sang near the end of his cancer, except changing the lyrics in the chorus "Ooh, what a lucky man I am!"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRFpXPu_7wE

:cry:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFsTjkroJY

Parler à mon père!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d-bD1pR8HM

She!
 
Last edited:
Gad said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaJfp2WQE8&feature=related

A quarter past wonderful. :)

I adore this video! And a beautiful song :)
 
dlgoff said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRFpXPu_7wE

:cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCO_1GcoV0

July, 1993...

:cry:

How do I get these both put on order, for my exit?
 
my favorite version of stairway to heaven got taken off of youtube finally :(
 
I really like Sigur Rós and the other was really nice too.
 
SHISHKABOB said:
my favorite version of stairway to heaven got taken off of youtube finally :(

It makes me wonder-
which version?
 
fuzzyfelt said:
It makes me wonder-
which version?

it had a picture of a big stair going into the sky all covered in grass and flowers and stuff, 12 million views, ended with a bunch of short bits of other various led zeppelin songs
 
SHISHKABOB said:
it had a picture of a big stair going into the sky all covered in grass and flowers and stuff, 12 million views, ended with a bunch of short bits of other various led zeppelin songs

Nice, Shiskabob! I wonder which the other bunch of led zep songs were, too.
 
Since we're on a rock/metal kick... I get all environmentally conscious when I listen to this. Dio's voice is incredible.

Black Sabbath - Children of the Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJQQWbr4cXM
 
My vote for best song of the 21st century so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=larU5S-r7pc

Emilie does all the singing and all the instruments. Unbelievable. Best solo act ever. And you haven't even heard her violin playing, which redefines the rock solo.

Second 21st century prize goes to Indonesia's Peterpan. Deepest groove ever, especially the two interlocking guitar players. Beautifully done. They have plenty of tunes like this. They even had a hit in India! when Bollywood stole one of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PfC8bkDwXE

The title means "What's the Matter with You?" And yes, chess is popular in Indonesia.

I hardly ever listen to 20th century stuff anymore. If I did, it would be the Beatles. But why? I've heard it already.
 
I adore Emilie Autumn for just being her... her style, attitude, etc... but for whatever reason I can't get into her music and I'm not sure why.
 
I haven't been able to stop listening to this song lately.

Mind.In.A.Box - 8 Bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEOLPDOKdtY
 
Here's a song by Yppah. He's an interesting fellow. His music has a nice guitar based but electronically manipulated shoegaze kind of sound. He's from Texas. It's not the kind of music I associate with Texas, but it's nice to have your preconceptions adjusted. By the way, read his name backwards. :)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
In honor of the new Prophet Haha, heehee, hoho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag
 
I suppose, I should eventually, stop posting, this video.

But these, are the images, and music, of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg

Good night, and god bless you, good peeps.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
In honor of the new Prophet Haha, heehee, hoho...

Gotta love that Alex =D.
 
I have 3 songs, I never get bored of them !


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moustique Moustique ah tu es un salaud...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know I've posted this before, but I just heard Dave Brubeck died :frown:

Here he is on piano in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUEiUOCLeI

 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
I know I've posted this before, but I just heard Dave Brubeck died :frown:

Here he is on piano in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUEiUOCLeI



Maybe we should all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpnWuk3RjU
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Brubeck with two sons, and Jerry Mulligan on sax, back in college. The ticket cost me $1.50. Thank the land-grant progenitors for student activity funds!
 
turbo said:
I saw Brubeck with two sons, and Jerry Mulligan on sax, back in college. The ticket cost me $1.50. Thank the land-grant progenitors for student activity funds!
I use to watch these guys for about the same cost. And later did do some partying with Robbie; as he was a good friend of the piano player in our little band.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYIiHAhIdo
 
"Three to Get Ready" is the first tune on the "Time Out" album. It alternates between 3/4 and 4/4 time and 'sort of' prepares you for the more unconventional time signatures to follow like 9/8 and 5/4. I really like Brubeck's restrained piano solo here. He does move into some heavy block chords late in the solo, but not too excessively. It all works very nicely with Paul Desmond's great lyrical alto sax. Paul died prematurely in 1977 of lung cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCx5AA_usQ

Here's one of my favorite "old" songs. I've never heard Brubeck do this haunting melody before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVDhchMmyw
 
Last edited:
I stumbled across this version of Brubeck/Desmond's "Take Five" by Brittni Paiva (who I've never heard of before). I thought 'some amateur's video', but I was curious so I listened. Some amateur! She looks to be 15 but she is actually 23 now. No Wiki article yet, but she deserves one. She plays the ukulele (another reason not to listen,...until you listen). I think this is worth a double post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNdNFACU00

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2010/08/23/ukulele-fire/
 
Last edited: