What is the best scientific method to deep space travel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 9K views
Well Chronos, considering you can't go faster than the speed of light, I'm not sure what you mean by infinitely fast.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe "infinitely fast spacecraft " means "pretty d@*n quick". :biggrin:

It still comes down to the fact that to accelerate matter to near light speed requires a lot of energy, and one cannot avoid/escape the reality that there are limits to the energy density in man-made material systems. Sure stars can have plasma densities of 1022 protons/cm3, but the pressures are enormous, and no man-made system can handle that, especially at the high temperatures involved. Similar, we cannot build a craft that can travel to the center of the earth.
 
Office_Shredder said:
Well Chronos, considering you can't go faster than the speed of light,

...in local space and by any physics that we understand.

We don't know that the limit is absolute which is why scientists play with ideas like warp drive. But it is silly to attempt resolving FTL paradoxes since it would required a physics that we don't know [and may not exist].
 
Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
...in local space and by any physics that we understand.

We don't know that the limit is absolute which is why scientists play with ideas like warp drive. But it is silly to attempt resolving FTL paradoxes since it would required a physics that we don't know [and may not exist].
Doesn't the expansion of the universe cause distant galaxies to recede faster than the speed of light? Okay this is because of the expansion of the fabric of spacetime but the effect on matter is real none-the-less so perhaps an understanding of exactly what is involved in expanding spacetime would get us started in creating FTL ships.
 
Art said:
Doesn't the expansion of the universe cause distant galaxies to recede faster than the speed of light? Okay this is because of the expansion of the fabric of spacetime but the effect on matter is real none-the-less so perhaps an understanding of exactly what is involved in expanding spacetime would get us started in creating FTL ships.

That's why I specified local space. :biggrin:

I think the idea of distant galaxies moving faster than light is speculative but now considered possible. I haven't kept up with this lately but I don't see how we could know that they exist.
 
The best method for deep space travel is scientific methods. Warp drive is currently unfeasible, not to mention dangerous, and it seems you trekkies don't know much about evolution. In a nut shell, evolution takes baby steps every 400,000,000 years, give or take, without some catalyst. Anyone with any sense at all would not describe their methods for deep space travel on a physics forum, at least i wouldn't, until all the proper documents were in order for a government agency to review and hopefully approve testing on some minuscule level.
 
Last edited:
Freshtictac said:
The best method for deep space travel is scientific methods. Warp drive is currently unfeasible, not to mention dangerous, and it seems you trekkies don't know much about evolution. In a nut shell, evolution takes baby steps every 400,000,000 years, give or take, without some catalyst. Anyone with any sense at all would not describe their methods for deep space travel on a physics forum, at least i wouldn't, until all the proper documents were in order for a government agency to review and hopefully approve testing on some minuscule level.
I'm not sure sure is weirder: the fact that you're responding to a post that's three years old, or the weird ramblings about traveling in deep space using scientific methods (as opposed to unicorn methods I suppose) and some spurious blurt about evolution. (Maybe we're supposed to evolve our scientific method of space travel?) :biggrin:

Anyway, don't bogart that joint my friend.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure sure is weirder: the fact that you're responding to a post that's three years old, or the weird ramblings about traveling in deep space using scientific methods (as opposed to unicorn methods I suppose) and some spurious blurt about evolution. (Maybe we're supposed to evolve our scientific method of space travel?) :biggrin:

Anyway, don't bogart that joint my friend.

:smile: I think that I would have to be using something stronger to write that.