Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best structure for po4 -3

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    i think it should have double bond with o

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What in particular makes you think that?

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3
    because it is better to have the central atom to be natural so i should make one double bond and the other is single bond

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only stable phosphorus oxides are [itex] P_4 O_6 [/itex] and [itex] P_4 O_{10} [/itex]. [itex] P_4 O_3[/itex] doesn't exist.

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5
    i don't say p4o3 i mean Phosphate and i want to know that is the stable lewis structure becouse some book make all the bond are single and some book make one double bond and the other is single bond

7. Sep 30, 2016 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

O
    |
    Oh, so you mean [itex] PO_{4}^{3-} [/itex]. The Lewis structure is O=P-O with over-octet structure for P. If quantum mechanics is brought into picture, one can follow Pauling's theory of delocalized electrons, mesomeric/resonant structures.

8. Sep 30, 2016 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

All bonds are single bonds. The negative charges are stabilized by either the solvent or counter ions. In gas phase, phosphate ions aren't stable.

9. Sep 30, 2016 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

All bonds are single bonds. The negative charges are stabilized by either the solvent or counter ions. In gas phase, phosphate ions aren't stable.

10. Sep 30, 2016 #9

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is nearly always pictured as one double bond ≡P=O with three single bonds P-O-, you won't go very far without meeting it.

11. Oct 1, 2016 #10
    i don't know quantum mechanics so can any one help me what is the most stable lewis and can central atom have charge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted