What is the best way to set up an alternator/battery system?

  • Topic: Auto/Motor 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Captain Mike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 9K views
jack action said:
A generator is the combination of an internal combustion engine (ICE), an alternator and an electrical system to transform the current into something useful (voltage, for example). You need everything except the ICE. So if you can get the alternator and the electrical system from a generator that is known to work well and safely, all you have to do is connect this alternator to your truck engine while making sure the alternator will turn at the proper rpm. That's it. You don't have to customize your own system and wonder if you have the correct parts. The electrical system (alternator included) already works with the ICE, it will also work with the engine truck.

You may not have talked about a generator for the food truck, but others have mentioned it. I was just giving a real life example of a safety issue for anyone reading this thread and thinking it is a good idea.

It all depends on your needs. A quick search shows that the largest alternator for a truck is 320 A @ 12 V. That is 3840 W (= 12 X 320) of power. Is that enough power for your needs? You still need some electrical system to convert that current to something useful. I doubt you are using equipment working with 12 V direct current, which is the alternator output. If so, great, you only need to change the current truck alternator to a bigger one!

I wondering if that 12V 320AMP alternator you've mentioned, suitable for any truck, how do I find out that I can use some model with my truck?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Motty said:
I wondering if that 12V 320AMP alternator you've mentioned, suitable for any truck, how do I find out that I can use some model with my truck?
It's a bit expensive (~$725 USD) -- I'm thinking about buying one for my 1985 4.8L inline-6 Chevy P30 Step-Van -- look up '6-phase versus 3-phase' if you're interested -- you might need a different regulator, too -- as others have pointed out, it may not be the best way to generate electricity -- I have a 3.5 kw gasoline-powered generator with a Honda engine (less loud than some others), but I think it's probably a good way to do it if you're going to use your truck's engine to do the side job of providing electricity -- https://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/p...f-exciting-chrome-w-march-1-75-pulley-and-fan

1584440508475.png
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: jack action
sysprog said:
I'm thinking about buying one for my 1985 4.8L
That's an impressive alternator. You will also need a special 6 groove serpentine belt and a new crankshaft pulley to match. The description says that it is designed to work at 800 RPM idle speed.

I'm not a M.E., but I would guess that this must stretch the limits of pulley-belt power transmission with its small diameter, low RPM, and high power.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
anorlunda said:
That's an impressive alternator. You will also need a special 6 groove serpentine belt and a new crankshaft pulley to match. The description says that it is designed to work at 800 RPM idle speed.

I'm not a M.E., but I would guess that this must stretch the limits of pulley-belt power transmission with its small diameter, low RPM, and high power.
Yeah -- there's a lot that goes along with it -- but that engine can produce enough power -- you make some adjustments, and it'll work -- I'm looking at a 2-alternator option set as well . . .