What is the best way to size an extension spring with specific requirements?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Avis
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I'm in need of an extension spring with some specific requirments:

Material: Stainless Steel
Diameter 0.75inch
Rest Length: 5 1/2inch inside the hooks
At 7 inches a forcle of 10lbs
At 10 inches (full extension) a force of no more than 20lbs (As low as possible)

Any idea on how to size this spring? What diamter wire will it need to be etc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Avis...I think you would be able to find what you're looking for at this website. They have a huge range of extension springs, and I've had success before. All the best!

http://stanleyspring.com/
 
Hey, thanks guys! I found an off the shelf spring that is almost perfect! Can't complain with that!
 
You might find luck at this site...

http://stanleyspring.com/

I know they have a lot of different springs. I'm not too sure if they have the type you're looking for, but I'm betting they do. Good luck, Avis!