1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best way to study this kind fo books ?

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Hi ,

I hope that you are all fine ,

I want to ask a question which I need to know it's answer soon,

when I study a subject like Abstract algebra or calculus or linear algebra or any subject , after very section or unit or lesson in my , there is lot's of exercises which need lot's of time to solve it !! and some books put very very difficult exercises , for example , some books put important theorems as an exercises and the reader have to get his own proof !! and that is tiring , so , what is better ? we slove all the exercises ? or solve some of them and just look to the others ?! if the better is to solve some of them only , how can I choose the exercise which I need to solve and leave the one which I shoudn't solve ??

some books do this , artin's book as an example !!

my greetings
    Maths Lover

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer to focus on the theorems and their proofs.

My approach to exercises is to just solve a few exercises chosen more or less at random until I feel that I know how to solve problems of the type that the section of the book is trying to teach us to solve.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my undergrad, I never really solved any exercises from a textbook. I found it enough to just read the theory and make up my own examples. Eventually, I found out the hard way that my method was not a good one. Now, whenever I read a math book, I (try to) solve all the exercises. Certainly for a thing like abstract algebra, you will want to solve a lot of exercises.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook