What is the best way to study this kind fo books ?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Maths Lover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Study
In summary, the person prefers to focus on the theorems and their proofs when studying a subject like Abstract algebra or calculus. They recommend solving a few exercises chosen at random to gain a better understanding of the problem-solving techniques being taught. They also mention that their previous approach of only reading the theory and making up their own examples was not effective and now they make an effort to solve all the exercises in a math book.
Maths Lover
Hi ,

I hope that you are all fine ,

I want to ask a question which I need to know it's answer soon,

when I study a subject like Abstract algebra or calculus or linear algebra or any subject , after very section or unit or lesson in my , there is lot's of exercises which need lot's of time to solve it ! and some books put very very difficult exercises , for example , some books put important theorems as an exercises and the reader have to get his own proof ! and that is tiring , so , what is better ? we slove all the exercises ? or solve some of them and just look to the others ?! if the better is to solve some of them only , how can I choose the exercise which I need to solve and leave the one which I shoudn't solve ??

some books do this , artin's book as an example !

my greetings
Maths Lover

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to focus on the theorems and their proofs.

My approach to exercises is to just solve a few exercises chosen more or less at random until I feel that I know how to solve problems of the type that the section of the book is trying to teach us to solve.

In my undergrad, I never really solved any exercises from a textbook. I found it enough to just read the theory and make up my own examples. Eventually, I found out the hard way that my method was not a good one. Now, whenever I read a math book, I (try to) solve all the exercises. Certainly for a thing like abstract algebra, you will want to solve a lot of exercises.

1. What study methods are most effective for this type of book?

The most effective study methods for any book will vary based on personal learning styles and the subject matter. However, some commonly recommended methods include taking notes, creating flashcards, practicing active reading techniques such as summarizing and asking questions, and using mnemonic devices to aid in memorization.

2. How should I organize my study time for this book?

The best way to organize study time for a book is to create a schedule and stick to it. This can be done by setting aside specific blocks of time each day or week for studying, breaking up the material into manageable chunks, and setting goals for each study session. It is also important to take breaks and allow for rest in between study sessions to avoid burnout.

3. Are there any specific strategies for retaining information from this type of book?

One effective strategy for retaining information from a book is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing key points, and relating the information to personal experiences. It is also helpful to regularly review the material and use repetition to reinforce important concepts.

4. Should I study alone or with a group for this book?

The decision to study alone or with a group will depend on personal preference and the subject matter of the book. For more complex or technical material, studying alone may be more beneficial as it allows for focused concentration. However, for subjects that involve discussion and application, studying with a group can provide a deeper understanding and different perspectives on the material.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying this book?

Staying motivated while studying a book can be challenging, but setting realistic goals and rewarding yourself for completing them can help. It is also helpful to find a study partner or group to hold each other accountable and provide support. Additionally, finding ways to make the material personally relevant and interesting can increase motivation and engagement.