What Is the Carbon Concentrating Mechanism in Photosynthesis?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oranboron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Carbon Mechanism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
oranboron
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My first semester bio course is having us practice writing formal lab reports by doing some research through peer reviewed journals our university has access to and citing it in our paper.

however something that keeps coming up in the papers I'm reading is something called "the carbon concentrating mechanism." I have no idea what that means. I was wondering if it was in relation to Carbon fixation? my topic is on photosynthesis and respiration in algae and leaf cells. Is it a term that is referring to a cells ability to store carbon dioxide to use so it can later fix it into a sugar molecule ? I only see this used in science journals and nowhere else so I am confused.

Thank you for your help.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF forums! if you haven't had a chance, take a look around.. There are many interesting and useful topics discussed around PF. Also there are many knowlegable folks willing to help guide people and explain confusing subjects.
I didn't know what your carbon concentrating mechanism was either, but did find a good explanation on the net.. Just do a search, and make sure you put "carbon concentrating mechanism" in quotes. If you like, add another keyword like algae in the same search box.
 
Thank you, Ouabache. I think i' have figured out a general idea of how it works now but i did google for it using those quotes and others...but only found journal articles to skim through. Appreciate the help anyways.