What is the cause of Earth's magnetic field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Rislam169
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am a student of science.I know that the compus works for magnetic field on earth.But I don't know the actual cause of this magnetic field.Compus always set in north and south direction. Sometime I thing ,Is there any magnetic hill on north or south poll?Or this is the cause of spin of the earth.

But what is right description of this magnetic field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth's magnetic field is generated by a dynamo effect in its core/mantle.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_theory

In physics, the dynamo theory proposes a mechanism by which a celestial body such as Earth or a star generates a magnetic field. The dynamo theory describes the process through which a rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid can maintain a magnetic field over astronomical time scales. A dynamo is thought to be the source of the Earth's magnetic field, as well as the magnetic fields of other planets.