What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

In summary, centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object in a circular path, always pointing towards the center of the circle and caused by the centripetal force. It is calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. The centripetal acceleration is determined by the object's speed and the radius of the circular path. It differs from tangential acceleration, which acts in the same direction as velocity. The length of a rod does not affect the centripetal acceleration of its end, as it is only dependent on speed and radius.
Heidikins07
Here is the homework question...

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest rotary speed ever attained was 2010m/s(4500mph). The rotating rod was 15.3cm(6in.) long. Assume the speed quoted is that of the end of the rod. What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

So I think since they say rotary speed they are talking about angular velocity here. so i would say angular velocity (w) = 2010m/s. Is this correct? or is it tangential velocity (v) = 2010m/s?

okay...does this mean it's rotating about the middle or about the end? (diameter being 15.3 radius being 7.65) orrrrrr (radius being 15.3 and diameter being 30.6) ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heidikins07 said:
So I think since they say rotary speed they are talking about angular velocity here. so i would say angular velocity (w) = 2010m/s. Is this correct? or is it tangential velocity (v) = 2010m/s?
What is the SI unit of angular speed?

okay...does this mean it's rotating about the middle or about the end? (diameter being 15.3 radius being 7.65) orrrrrr (radius being 15.3 and diameter being 30.6) ??

Well, nothing has been stated specifically. If this written homework, you could check with your teacher. If this is one of those computerised tests, which gives you three chances at the right answer, then use 15.3 cm as the radius in your first try.

yea, it's written homework. so i did it both ways and I am just gunna ask my teacher! thanks tho! Ü

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is caused by the centripetal force acting on the object.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This means that the centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

3. What determines the centripetal acceleration of an object?

The centripetal acceleration of an object is determined by its speed and the radius of the circular path it is moving along. The faster the object is moving and the smaller the radius of the circle, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be.

4. How does centripetal acceleration differ from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration are both types of acceleration, but they act in different directions. Centripetal acceleration always points towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity of the object and is caused by changes in speed.

5. Does the length of the rod affect the centripetal acceleration of its end?

No, the length of the rod does not affect the centripetal acceleration of its end. The centripetal acceleration is only dependent on the speed and radius of the circular path, not the size or length of the object moving along the path.