What is the charge (Coulombs) of a nanogram of electrons?

In summary, the conversation is about a test question asking for the charge of a nanogram of electrons. The person was unsure of the definition of a coulomb and guessed an answer of 1.something C. They were looking for help or explanation, and someone suggested using the relevant equations to solve the problem. However, the person asking the question did not want to do the work themselves and asked for the answer instead.
Luke Cohen

Homework Statement

What is the charge of a nanogram of electrons? This was a test question for me. I didn't know the exact definition of a coulomb, so I guessed about 1. something C. The options were 1.something C, 0.03C, or like 3.64C. Someone care to explain/help? thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Luke Cohen said:

Homework Statement

What is the charge of a nanogram of electrons? This was a test question for me. I didn't know the exact definition of a coulomb, so I guessed about 1. something C. The options were 1.something C, 0.03C, or like 3.64C. Someone care to explain/help? thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Under the Relevant Equations section, you should list the mass of an electron and the charge on an electron. Try using that approach and show us what you get... :smile:

But I don't wannaaaaaa. Can't you just do it for me and tell me the answer?! :)

Luke Cohen said:
But I don't wannaaaaaa. Can't you just do it for me and tell me the answer?! :)

LOL. Nope, that's not how it works around here. :smile:

1. What is the relationship between mass and charge of electrons?

The charge of an electron is a fundamental physical property that is independent of its mass. This means that the charge of a nanogram of electrons is the same as the charge of a single electron, which is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

2. How many electrons are there in a nanogram of electrons?

Since a nanogram is a unit of mass and electrons have a very small mass, there are a large number of electrons in a nanogram. To calculate the number of electrons, we can use Avogadro's number, which is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole. This means that a nanogram of electrons contains approximately 6.022 x 10^14 electrons.

3. Can the charge of a nanogram of electrons be measured?

Yes, the charge of a nanogram of electrons can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer. This device measures the flow of electric charge and can accurately measure the charge of a nanogram of electrons.

4. Is the charge of a nanogram of electrons affected by external factors?

No, the charge of a nanogram of electrons is a constant and is not affected by external factors. However, the movement of these electrons can be influenced by external electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does the charge of a nanogram of electrons compare to other units of charge?

The charge of a nanogram of electrons is a very small unit of charge. It is equivalent to 1 picocoulomb (pC), which is one trillionth of a Coulomb (C). Other commonly used units of charge include milliCoulombs (mC) and microCoulombs (uC).