1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the coefficient of friction?

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    An object on a 30 degree inclined surface with force applied up the ramp,
    weight of object = 6.9N,
    applied force on object = 3.13N

My answer was -0.05, but I'm not sure if this is right so I want to make sure with someone's help

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure either. Is there a complete question here?

What's the complete statement of the problem?

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    yes the information is complete, I had to take it from a table with info in it so theres no complete statement, and btw theres no acceleration

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, these are observed data?

There's no way to know the coefficient of friction, without more information.

You can determine the frictional force -- perhaps -- but not the coefficient .

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    Ive done it for every other question...but im in grade 11 and our formula for the coefficient of friction is μ=Ff/Fn

If you don't think theres enough info, could you do just the friction? Thanks

7. Oct 10, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's IF either of the following is true as well as the direction of the applied force is known.

1. The object is moving at a constant speed. (kinetic friction)

2. The object is stationary, but just on the verge of moving. (static friction.)

8. Oct 10, 2011 #7
    1. yes
    2. yes

Im only in gr 11 physics so it wont be very complicated

9. Oct 10, 2011 #8
    The object is on a high friction surface (sand paper) and is just on the verge of moving at a constant velocity

10. Oct 10, 2011 #9
    Negative coefficients of friction do not conserve energy. If you want more help you should post more work.

edit: forgot to hit "post" and didn't see previous help

11. Oct 10, 2011 #10
    I got negative because since this was a lab, we tried to make the slope 30 degrees but probably wasnt
    Thats why my teach says we may get a negative answer

12. Oct 10, 2011 #11
    So could anyone work out either the coefficient of friction or just friction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook