What is the coefficient of friction?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the coefficient of friction of an object on a 30 degree inclined surface with a weight of 6.9N and an applied force of 3.13N. The object is either moving at a constant speed or is stationary but on the verge of moving. The direction of the applied force is also important to know in order to calculate the frictional force. The person asking for help is in grade 11 and is unsure if they have enough information to calculate the coefficient of friction. They mention that they may have gotten a negative answer due to possible errors in their experiment.
g65hy
An object on a 30 degree inclined surface with force applied up the ramp,
weight of object = 6.9N,
applied force on object = 3.13N

My answer was -0.05, but I'm not sure if this is right so I want to make sure with someone's help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure either. Is there a complete question here?

What's the complete statement of the problem?

yes the information is complete, I had to take it from a table with info in it so there's no complete statement, and btw there's no acceleration

So, these are observed data?

There's no way to know the coefficient of friction, without more information.

You can determine the frictional force -- perhaps -- but not the coefficient .

Ive done it for every other question...but I am in grade 11 and our formula for the coefficient of friction is μ=Ff/Fn

If you don't think there's enough info, could you do just the friction? Thanks

That's IF either of the following is true as well as the direction of the applied force is known.

1. The object is moving at a constant speed. (kinetic friction)

2. The object is stationary, but just on the verge of moving. (static friction.)

1. yes
2. yes

Im only in gr 11 physics so it won't be very complicated

The object is on a high friction surface (sand paper) and is just on the verge of moving at a constant velocity

Negative coefficients of friction do not conserve energy. If you want more help you should post more work.

edit: forgot to hit "post" and didn't see previous help

I got negative because since this was a lab, we tried to make the slope 30 degrees but probably wasnt
Thats why my teach says we may get a negative answer

So could anyone work out either the coefficient of friction or just friction?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance or force between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is used to measure the level of friction between the two surfaces, which can affect the movement or motion of an object.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This calculation results in a decimal value that represents the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of friction, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids between the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps determine how easily or difficult it is for an object to move or slide across a surface. It is also used to predict the amount of force needed to overcome friction and the potential for wear and tear on surfaces.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-life applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in various industries and fields, such as engineering, physics, and material science. It is used to improve the design and functionality of machines and structures, determine the performance of tires and brakes, and even to analyze the movement of animals and humans.