What is the coefficient of restitution

So when you substitute in the COR for the velocities, you get COR squared on both sides. This is only applicable in the center-of-mass reference frame. In summary, the coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects, with a value between 0 and 1. It can be calculated using the relative velocities before and after the collision. In some cases, it can be simplified to a ratio of kinetic energies, but this is only applicable in the center-of-mass reference frame. The COR is useful in solving collision problems and understanding the inelasticity of impacts between objects.
Definition/Summary

For a collision between two objects, the coefficient of restitution is the ratio of the relative speed after to the relative speed before the collision.

The coefficient of restitution is a number between 0 (perfectly inelastic collision) and 1 (elastic collision) inclusive.

Equations

The coefficient of restitution is

[tex] \textrm{C.O.R.} =
\frac{|\vec{v_{2f}} - \vec{v_{1f}}|}
{|\vec{v_{2i}} - \vec{v_{1i}}|} [/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v_{1i}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v_{1f}}[/itex] are the initial and final velocities, respectively, of object #1. A similar definition holds for the velocities of object #2.

While this is a useful definition for studying collisions of particles in physics, there is an alternative used to define the C.O.R. of everyday objects. In this definition, the velocities are replaced with the components perpendicular to the plane or line of impact. In the case of a 1-d collision, the two definitions are equivalent.

Be sure you know which definition of C.O.R. is the accepted practice in a given situation. For the remainder of this discussion, we use the definition in the equation shown above.

For an object colliding with a fixed object or surface, [itex] v_{2i} [/itex] and [itex] v_{2f} [/itex] are zero, and the C.O.R reduces to:

[tex]\textrm{C.O.R.} = \frac{|\vec{v_{1f}}|}{|\vec{v_{1i}}|}[/tex]

In the center-of-mass reference frame of two objects of mass [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] -- and only in that frame -- the initial and final total kinetic energies are related to the C.O.R. by

[tex]\frac{KE_f}{KE_i} = \textrm{C.O.R}^2[/tex]

where

[tex]KE_i \ = \ \frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1i}^2 \ + \
\frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2i}^2[/tex]

and

[tex]KE_f \ = \ \frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1f}^2 \ + \
\frac{1}{2} m_2 v_{2f}^2[/tex]

Extended explanation

Elastic and perfectly inelastic collisions

The coefficient of restitution describes the inelasticity of collisions. If the C.O.R. is 1, the collision is elastic and kinetic energy is conserved. A C.O.R of zero represents a perfectly inelastic collision; after the collision the objects stick together and, in the center-of-mass frame, have zero velocity.

Simplifying 1-d collision problems

In a 1-dimensional elastic collision (C.O.R. = 1), the conservation-of-energy equation may be replaced with

[tex]v_{2f} - v_{1f}
= v_{1i} - v_{2i} [/tex]

In other words, the relative velocity of the two particles has the same magnitude, but is reversed in direction, before and after the collision. By using this equation instead of the conservation-of-energy equation directly, the work of solving a collision problem is simplified as there are no squared velocity terms to deal with.

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does coefficient of restitution signify? on what factor does it depends?

The COR represents the elasticity of an impact between two bodies,the impact being either perfectly elastic or inelastic,or somewhere in between.In terms of the numbers simply look at the equation ; its the ratio of the difference of the velocities before and after a collision or impact has happened.In more advanced mechanics classes its use is applied in the energy equations,it comes in handy,when more has more unknowns than equations and wants a closed form solution without complicating one's life with life threatening PDE's.

Hello! Could I please ask why KEf/KEi = COR^2 instead of just COR? Thank you :)

Relative with respect to what in numerator and denominator?

Ksister said:
Hello! Could I please ask why KEf/KEi = COR^2 instead of just COR? Thank you :)
Because KE is mv2/2, which makes the ratio of KE's proportional to the velocities squared.

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a measure of the ability of an object to bounce back after colliding with another object. It is a dimensionless number, typically represented by the symbol e, and ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 represents a completely inelastic collision (no bounce) and 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision (no energy loss).

How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution is calculated by dividing the relative velocity after a collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This can be represented by the equation e = vf/vi, where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity.

What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be affected by a variety of factors, including the materials of the objects involved in the collision, the surface roughness of those materials, the angle of impact, and the temperature of the objects.

Why is the coefficient of restitution important?

The coefficient of restitution is important in understanding the behavior of objects during collisions. It can be used to predict the motion of objects after a collision and to design objects that can absorb or transfer energy efficiently.

What real-world applications does the coefficient of restitution have?

The coefficient of restitution has many real-world applications, including in sports such as golf, tennis, and baseball, where it can affect the performance of equipment. It is also important in engineering, particularly in the design of materials for impact protection and in the development of safety features for cars and other vehicles.