What is the condition of true weightlessness?

In summary, true weightlessness occurs when an object is not subjected to any gravitational force, such as when an astronaut is far from Earth and other astronomical objects. Apparent weightlessness can occur in two cases - when a spacecraft is falling vertically downwards with acceleration g, and when a spacecraft is circling the Earth and experiencing an acceleration equal to g. The concept of true weightlessness is still debated and there is no clear consensus on its existence.
Dale said:
Then please provide a scientific reference that explains this concept of “apparent weightlessness”. It is a term I have not seen.
Could you clarify please if there are any similar terms that are commonly used. I think this or similar questions have come up before, and I've been surprised by this apparent confusion. Are not "true weight" and "apparent weight" common and well defined terms in physics?
Drakkith said:
I wouldn't use either term. I would just use 'weightlessness', and I would define it as the absence of a normal force derived from gravitation.
I guess my concern would be that if "true weight" and "apparent weight" are commonly used terms, then "weightless" must be a form of one of those two and should have a modifier...unless because "true weight" is never zero, only "apparent weightless[ness]" is needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
I reckon that there cannot be any formal definition of "apparent" in physics. Something either has a property or not. "Apparent" suggests an unspecified situation where for an unspecified reason it may not be clear whether something has the property or not.

For example, if I define property X to be "is wearing shoes". Then it's clear what property X is. But, what would be the definition of "apparently" wearing shoes? As opposed to "really" wearing shoes. Does it mean you can see what appear to be shoes? Or, wearing shoes on other than your feet?
Whether you are wearing shoes or not is not frame dependent. Your weight is.

russ_watters said:
Could you clarify please if there are any similar terms that are commonly used. I think this or similar questions have come up before, and I've been surprised by this apparent confusion. Are not "true weight" and "apparent weight" common and well defined terms in physics?

I guess my concern would be that if "true weight" and "apparent weight" are commonly used terms, then "weightless" must be a form of one of those two and should have a modifier...unless because "true weight" is never zero, only "apparent weightless[ness]" is needed.
I have seen "weightless" as what he was calling "apparent weight" in my old physics textbook. I cannot remember a "true weightless" term, but perhaps it was called "zero g" or something.

I do admit that it has been more than a couple of decades since I did introductory physics so it may have been defined in my textbook and then just mentally discarded due to the uselessness of the "true weightless" definition.

Likes jbriggs444
Dale said:
I have seen "weightless" as what he was calling "apparent weight" in my old physics textbook. I cannot remember a "true weightless" term, but perhaps it was called "zero g" or something.

I do admit that it has been more than a couple of decades since I did introductory physics so it may have been defined in my textbook and then just mentally discarded due to the uselessness of the "true weightless" definition.
I think my question was too long, so you kinda skipped over it. What I really would like to know is:

Are "true weight" and "apparent weight" common and well defined terms in physics?

[negative wording reversed]

shk said:
so you're saying that when g is zero weight is zero. correct ?
Also in the case of the baseball, the person throwing it will need to supply basically the same force to it in order to throw it at a speed of 60 m.p.h. whether he is on Earth or in an orbiting space ship. The force needed is such that it accelerates the ball from being motionless to a speed of 60 m.p.h. before it leaves the thrower's hand. The ball still has mass. ## \\ ## Unless it is explained properly, someone not familiar with the idea of mass may think that weightless implies the baseball is light as a feather when it comes to putting it in motion. The ball is weightless, but its mass is still present.

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
I think my question was too long, so you kinda skipped over it. What I really would like to know is:

Are "true weight" and "apparent weight" common and well defined terms in physics?

[negative wording reversed]
I wouldn't say they were common or well defined terms used by Physicists. I would say that they can probably be found in not very well founded descriptions of the effects in free fall and in orbit but not in credible sources. After all, Weight is what is sensed or measured when an object is is contact with another object. There is not much confusion on Earth but even though the forces in space travel are very small they are still Weight.

Likes hmmm27
A bit of googling about and "true weight" concerns only mass and subjective (real)gravity ; "apparent weight" includes centrifugal force, buoyancy, acceleration other-than-gravity, etc.

But, I still fail to see the utility in differentiation, outside of simply noting that it can be differentiated.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and sophiecentaur
Okay, I thought of a situation where "real" and "apparent" weight could be useful.

So, you're on Mars, where you've set up a lawnchair in a centrifuge, which spins fast enough to mimic Earth gravity. The lawnchair - designed for ground level on Earth - says "Load limit 200 lbs". You have no clue what your current mass is but it could swing either way. So, you get out a spring scale to find your "real" (local) weight, then multiply that by 3 (or whatever) to get "apparent" weight in the centrifuge.

Dale said:
The condition of weightlessness is usually that a device which measures weight (a scale) read 0.

russ_watters said:
I think this or similar questions have come up before, and I've been surprised by this apparent confusion. Are not "true weight" and "apparent weight" common and well defined terms in physics?

There is not consistency in the definition of "weight" in, e.g., first-years text. See my post

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rk-in-general-relativity.262703/#post-1912465

and the subsequent post by @jtbell .

Likes russ_watters
George Jones said:
There is not consistency in the definition of "weight" in, e.g., first-years text. See my post

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rk-in-general-relativity.262703/#post-1912465

Thanks!

One problem with Google is that anything you google you will find, but that doesn't tell you how prevalent the thing you are searching for is in reality or even if Google is creating reality as you search for it. :wideeyed:

russ_watters said:

Common among those introductory physics textbook authors who use them. :smile:

I'd say, off hand, somewhere around half.

In this vocabulary true weight is gravitational force and apparent weight is what you get when you weigh an object. I would say that they are well defined. The former, obviously, is well defined in Newtonian physics. The latter can be well defined as the force needed to make the object accelerate at a rate equal to the local free fall acceleration.

I prefer a different vocabulary. I call the former the gravitational force and the latter the weight force.

Here's an example. Suppose you have an object and you measure its mass to be 100.00 kg. On Earth's equator, where the free fall acceleration is 9.78 m/s2, the weight force is 978 N, and indeed it takes a force of 978 N to support that object, neglecting buoyancy. But the gravitational force is 981 N. The difference being due to Earth's spin.

Using that other vocabulary they'd say the true weight is 981 N and the apparent weight is 978 N.

Last edited:
George Jones said:

Well, in those posts you're using definitions you find in introductory physics textbooks. Definitions adopted by official organizations may or may not lead you to different conclusions. One thing I've found is that when it comes to this topic there are a rich variety of conclusions, all reached by trained physicists, from the same set of premises.

By the way, if you use ##mg## as the magnitude of the gravitational force, and you use the local free fall acceleration magnitude for ##g##, that constitutes an inconsistency. A very common one.

Weightlessness can be determined by placing a drop of electrically neutral liquid in the center of a transparent sphere. If it remains in place, everything stationary relative to the drop is weightless. If the drop appears distended, there is a tidal influence present, indicating that there is a significantly steep gravitational gradient straining the molecular bonds of the drop; but if the center of the drop's mass remains in place, the drop is nonetheless weightless.* Note that this condition can be satisfied if the sphere is falling toward a massive body, in an orbit, or floating amid the gravitational influences of a number of planets, stars, and galaxies. It applies to any condition of weightlessness -- there is no "apparent" weightlessness.

*Note: If there is a severe tidal gradient, otherwise weightless bodies in a rigid container can become weighted, pressing against the opposite walls of the container along the axis of gravitation.

Last edited:
Likes Dale