What is the connection between sin and cos in Example 6.3.4?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, Example 6.3.4 in "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert discusses the application of l'Hospital's rule in finding the limit of two functions, \frac{ \text{ sin } x}{ \sqrt{x} } and \frac{ \text{ cos } x}{ 1/ (2 \sqrt{x}) }, as x approaches 0. The example does not imply that these two functions are equal, but rather that they have the same limit.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 6: Differentiation ...

I need help in fully understanding the an aspect of Example 6.3.4 ...Example 6.3.4 ... reads as follows:View attachment 7305The above example implies that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \text{ sin } x}{ \sqrt{x} } = \frac{ \text{ cos } x}{ 1/ 2 \sqrt{x} } \)
Can someone please explain how/why this is true ...Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
The above example implies that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \text{ sin } x}{ \sqrt{x} } = \frac{ \text{ cos } x}{ 1/ (2 \sqrt{x}) } \)
Can someone please explain how/why this is true ...
No, the example does not imply that those two functions are the same. It just says that (by applying l'Hospital's rule) they have the same limit as $x\to0+$.

Opalg said:
No, the example does not imply that those two functions are the same. It just says that (by applying l'Hospital's rule) they have the same limit as $x\to0+$.
Oh! Of course ... how silly of me ...

Thanks Opalg ...

Peter

Related to What is the connection between sin and cos in Example 6.3.4?

What is B&S Example 6.3.4?

B&S Example 6.3.4 refers to a specific example in the book "Biology and Society: An Introduction to Biological Science" by Mimi Bres.

Why is B&S Example 6.3.4 important?

This example is important because it demonstrates a real-life application of biological science and how it relates to society.

What is the purpose of B&S Example 6.3.4?

The purpose of this example is to illustrate how biological concepts and principles can be applied to a specific issue or problem in society.

How is B&S Example 6.3.4 related to other examples in the book?

This example may be related to other examples in the book by demonstrating similar biological concepts or by addressing a similar societal issue.

Can I apply the same principles from B&S Example 6.3.4 to other situations?

While the specific details of this example may not apply to every situation, the underlying biological principles and concepts can be applied to a variety of scenarios.