What is the Conservation of Angular Momentum for Motion Confined to a Cone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MisterX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cone Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
MisterX
Messages
758
Reaction score
71

Homework Statement



yDI8qJI.png


Homework Equations


[itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial \phi} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]z = r\cos\alpha[/itex]
[itex]s = r\sin\alpha[/itex]

[itex]v^2 = \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2 sin^2\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^2 \dot{\phi}^2 sin^2\alpha- mgr\cos\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\ell_z = I_z\omega_z = ms^2\dot{\phi}[/itex]
[itex]\ell_z = mr^2\dot{\phi}\sin^2\alpha[/itex]

The [itex]\phi[/itex] Euler Lagrange equation is just conservation of angular momentum.
[itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial \phi} = 0 = \frac{d}{dt}\left(mr^2\dot{\phi}sin^2\alpha \right) = \dot{\ell_z} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}}[/itex]

[itex]\dot{\ell_z} = m\sin^2(\alpha)(2r\dot{r}\dot{\phi} + mr^2\ddot{\phi}) = 0[/itex]

the [itex]r[/itex] Euler Lagrange equation
[itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L} }{\partial r} = mr\dot{\phi}^2\sin^2\alpha - mgcos\alpha = m\ddot{r} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{r}}[/itex]

I'm not sure how to put this in terms of [itex]\ell_z[/itex] in a way that gets rid of all the [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. There's that extra power of [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex].
 
Attachments
  • TaylorProb7-38.png
    TaylorProb7-38.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
MisterX said:
I'm not sure how to put this in terms of [itex]\ell_z[/itex] in a way that gets rid of all the [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. There's that extra power of [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex].

You just want to eliminate [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex], not both [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex].
 
Oops, I should have read that better. Thanks for answering both my questions this week, TSny!

I got as far as

[itex]\ddot{\epsilon} \approx \frac{\ell_z^2}{m^2 r_0^3 sin^2\alpha \cos\alpha}(1 - \frac{3\epsilon}{r_0}) - gcos\alpha[/itex] ?


But I think I'm going to leave this incomplete. It's late and I'm recovering from a cold.
 
Last edited:
MisterX said:
I got as far as

[itex]\ddot{\epsilon} \approx \frac{\ell_z^2}{m^2 r_0^3 sin^2\alpha \cos\alpha}(1 - \frac{3\epsilon}{r_0}) - gcos\alpha[/itex] ?

But I think I'm going to leave this incomplete. It's late and I'm recovering from a cold.

Hey, that looks good. Can you argue that ## \frac{\ell_z^2}{m^2 r_0^3 sin^2\alpha \cos\alpha}## cancels ## - gcos\alpha## leaving a single term on the right proportional to ##\epsilon##?

Take care
 
Yes, here is what I got.

[itex]\ddot{\epsilon} = -\frac{3gcos(\alpha)}{r_0}\epsilon[/itex]