What Is the Correct Approach to Find the Centroid of a Parabolic Area?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Centroid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Centroid Parabolic area

Homework Statement


http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7518/slowge9.th.jpg
Find the centroid of the area.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not quite sure what I'm screwing up on this problem, I can do other problems like when y = x^2. I have only shown my work for the x centroid, but I can't seem to get the answer (3/8b). Does anyone see where I messed up, I assume it's somewhere in the integral setup. I think dA = h-y dx is correct.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point (b,h) lies on the curve. Doesn't that suggest something, like a relationship between them, which you can put in the answer?
 
Thanks for your reply, I figured it out
 
Last edited: