What is the Correct Calculation for Making a 0.5N Solution of HNO3 (69%)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
selina
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have to make up a 0.5N solution of HNO3 (69%). I have attempted to do the calculation but am not confident if it is correct. Please see below:

no. moles = cv/1000

c = 0.5N v = 100ml

so no.moles = 0.5 x 100/ 1000 = 0.05 moles

mass = 0.05moles/63 = 3.15g

HN03 (69%) = 2.17g

Therefore 2.17g of HNO3 (69%) in 100ml water = 0.5N

Is this correct? (As someone else seems to have got 4.56g as the answer and I don't know where they obtained this from)

Thank you very much for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
0.5N or 0.5M? N stands for normality, and in the case of nitric acid normality may but may not equal molarity.

You are rihht that you need 3.15g of nitiric acid, however, your conversion to mass of 69% solution is wrong. That's obvious at the first sight - you need 3.15 g of acid, yet you plan to use 2.17 g of solution that is not pure acid - in no way 2.17 g will contain 3.15 g.

Try to start with percentage definition and solve it for the mass of the solution. You will know where 4.56 came from.
 
ok thanks for you help, i understand where I've gone wrong. I should have divided 3.15g and not multiplied.