What is the correct exited state configuration of litium?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Petar Mali
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Configuration States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Petar Mali
Messages
283
Reaction score
0
Litium has a structure

[tex]1s^22s^1[/tex]

What is the first exited state of litium?


I have some doubt? I think that it is

[tex]1s^22p^1[/tex]

Is it correct or maybe

[tex]1s^23p^1[/tex]

Why I'm in problem. Because wave function of hydrogen atom depends of three quantum numbers
[tex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/tex] but energy depends only of one quantum number [tex]E_n[/tex]. So we have degeneration. In this logic it's need to be [tex]1s^23p^1[/tex]. But I don't have hydrogen I have litium, so must be some ecranisation and of course Hund rule [tex]s[/tex] and [tex]p[/tex] orbitals have different energy. And I can say that

[tex]E_{n,l}=-13,6eV\frac{1}{(n-\Delta l)^2}[/tex]

Thanks for your answer!
 
Physics news on Phys.org