What is the Correct Integral of Inverse Cosecant?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Euler2718
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Euler2718
Messages
90
Reaction score
3
Running into a little trouble when doing this integral by hand:

[tex]\int arccsc(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]u = arccsc(x) \implies du = -\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} dx[/tex]

[tex]dv = dx \implies v = x[/tex]

[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int vdu[/tex]

[tex]\int arccsc(x) dx = xarccsc(x) - \int x\cdot -\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int arccsc(x) dx = xarccsc(x) + \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} dx[/tex]

Now I'm here, and it seems obvious , but this yields the answer to be:

[tex]\int arccsc(x) dx = xarccsc(x) + \ln\left|\sqrt{x^{2}-1}\right| +C[/tex]

When it's suppose to be (from wikipedia):

[tex]\int arccsc(x) dx = xarccsc(x) + \ln\left(x+\sqrt{x^{2}-1}\right) +C[/tex]

Where did I go wrong (skipped ahead in the course, so sorry if it's something really basic I'm missing)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That last integral is wrong.
##\frac{d}{dx}ln|\sqrt{x^2-1}|=\frac{x}{x^2-1}\neq\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}##.
 
Last edited:
certainly said:
That last integral is wrong.
##\frac{d}{dx}ln|\sqrt{x^2-1}|=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\neq\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}##.

Yes, I'm aware. I'm wondering where I messed up in the integration by parts.
 
Morgan Chafe said:
Yes, I'm aware. I'm wondering where I messed up in the integration by parts.
The integration by parts is right.
However, ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx \neq ln|\sqrt{x^2-1}|##.
 
certainly said:
The integration by parts is right.
However, ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx \neq ln|\sqrt{x^2-1}|##.

hm..How exactly does ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx ## boil down to ##\ln \left( x + \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ## then? I'm a bit lost now.
 
Morgan Chafe said:
hm..How exactly does ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx ## boil down to ##\ln \left( x + \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ## then? I'm a bit lost now.
Hint:- Use trigonometric substitution.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Euler2718
certainly said:
Hint:- Use trigonometric substitution.

Thank you! I never heard of trigonometric substitution lol (like I said, I skipped ahead). Did a secant substitution, and got the real answer. Thank you.
 
if you do not want to use trigonometric subst or doing boring calculation, you can multiply and divide ##\left( 1/ \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ## by

##\left( x + \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ##

in this way the result is immediate! In fact you find

##\left( 1 + x/\sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right)/ \left( x + \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ##

that is f'/f , so the result is ##\log \left( x + \sqrt{x^{2}-1} \right) ##panta rei
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Euler2718