What Is the Correct Product of H2SO4 and LiOH Reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fusilli_Jerry89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Fusilli_Jerry89
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Just double checking to see if the product is correct:

H2SO4 + LiOH ---> H2O + LiHSO4

or is it LiSO4?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What the valency of lithium? What's the valency (or the net charge) on the sulfate radical (you can deduce this from H2SO4)? Use these to determine the incorrect formula among the two you've written.
 
uhh by valency do U mean valnce electrons, and therefore combining capacity? I don't know what you are talking about for the 2nd half of your explanation because I am in grade 12 and we have not done anything like that.
 
Im actually guessing now that I can just look at the chart and see that H2SO4 is monoprotic, and therefore the correct answer is LiHSO4
 
Ka2 for sulfuric acid is not small. I'm most people would call it diprotic.

But saying LiHSO4 is the dominant product is not a wrong answer. On the other hand, LiSO4 is an incorrect formula. The product of the neutralization of LiHSO4 would be Li2SO4.