What Is the Correct Translational Velocity of a Disk Rolling Down an Incline?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
alexito01
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A disk is released from rest from the top of an incline. The bottom of the incline is a vertical distance h=15m below the top. The wheel rolls without slipping. The moment of inertia of the disk is given by I=1/2MR2. What is the translational velocity of the disk at the bottom of the incline? (use g=9.8m/s2)


Homework Equations


PE= mgy and KE= 1/2mv^2 and ω=v/r


The Attempt at a Solution


I ended up with 17.1 m/s but it keeps telling me its wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using rotational kinetic energy anywhere in your calculations? Notice that you were given the moment of inertia of a disk.
 
Ki = 0
Kf = translation kinetic energy + rotational kinetic energy = 1/2 Mv^2 + 1/2 I w^2
In the above, substitute I = 1/2 MR^2 and w = v/R to find Kf in terms of M and v.

Ui = Mgy
Uf = 0
Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
Substitute values and solve for v.