What is the Correct Volume of the Reaction Mixture at STP After Completion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iconwin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Mixed Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
iconwin
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider the following gas phase reaction:
http://scholar.uh.edu/webct/RelativeResourceManager/Template/Imported_Resources/20053H_CHEM1331_08946_QIZ_200511041405291131475017966%20folder/QIZ_6442871_M/my_files/test_images/f5g1q49g1.gif
400. mL of NO at STP is reacted with 500. mL of O2 at STP. Calculate the volume of the reaction mixture at STP after the reaction goes to completion.

V of NO= 400.mL= .400L
V of O2= 500.mL = .500L
At STP:
P= 1atm
T= 273K
V= 22.4L/mol of gas
V of mixed gas NO2= ?

Homework Equations


n=PV/RT;
M=mRT/PV;


The Attempt at a Solution


1, I added two volumes of gases together to get the total volume.
.400L+.500L= .900L

2. I calculated the mol of NO2 at STP
n= PV/RT= (1atm*22.4L)/(0.0821L*atm/K*mol)
n= 0.9994 mol of NO2

3. Took that mol multiply with .9L to get the Volume of the mixed gas NO2, I got ~900mL
But the right answer is 700mL. Is there any idea on what I did wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gases reacted. You end with two gases - but you need to calculate their amounts with simple stoichiometry.
 
Thank you! I'll try again!
 
Last edited: