Worked gas prob with my anwer +correct answer

• Thread starter geffman1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the question asks for the mass of NO2(g) formed in a reaction where 2NO(g) + O2(g) 2NO2(g). Using the ideal gas law, the initial and final pressures are used to solve for the number of moles of oxygen that reacted, which is then multiplied by the molar mass of NO2 to find the mass. The discrepancy between the calculated mass and the correct answer of 2.66 grams is due to the fact that the reaction produces two moles of NO2 for every mole of O2, hence the need to multiply the calculated mass by 2.
geffman1
stoichiometric relationships

Homework Statement

hey guys just wondering if you could tell me where i went wrong
"One process related to formation of smog is:
2NO(g) + O2(g) 2NO2(g)
This reaction can be monitored in the laboratory by finding the total pressure of a mixture of the gases.

A bulb of volume 1.000 L is filled with a mixture of NO(g) and O2(g). The initial total pressure is 335 kPa at 26.4°C. After 6 hours the total pressure is 263 kPa. What mass of NO2(g) in grams has been formed? "

PV=nRT
P=335Kpa-263Kpa=72Kpa
R=8.314
v=1
t=299.4K

n=PV/RT=72/(8.314*299.4)=0.0289
Therefore mass =moles*molermass=0.0289*46.01=1.33grams HOWEVER answer is 2.66grams? therefore i should mulitple my answer by 2, but Y?
anyhelp would be apprecitated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand what you did correctly, 72 kPa is amount of oxygen that reacted - take a look at the reaction equation now...

Thank you for sharing your work and providing the correct answer. It seems that you have correctly applied the ideal gas law to calculate the moles of NO2 formed. However, the reason why you need to multiply your answer by 2 is because of the stoichiometric relationship between the reactants and products in the given reaction.

In this reaction, for every 2 moles of NO used, 2 moles of NO2 are produced. This means that the amount of NO2 formed will be double the amount of NO used. Therefore, you need to multiply your calculated moles of NO2 by 2 to get the correct answer.

In general, when solving stoichiometric problems, it is important to consider the balanced chemical equation and the stoichiometric ratios between the reactants and products. This will ensure that your calculations are accurate and your answer is correct.

I hope this helps clarify why your answer needs to be multiplied by 2. Keep up the good work!

Related to Worked gas prob with my anwer +correct answer

1. What is worked gas prob?

Worked gas prob is a calculation used to determine the amount of gas that has been consumed or produced in a given system. It takes into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume to calculate the change in gas quantity.

2. How is worked gas prob calculated?

Worked gas prob is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What units are used in worked gas prob calculations?

The units used in worked gas prob calculations depend on the specific situation, but commonly used units include liters, cubic meters, atmospheres, and Kelvin. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when performing the calculation.

4. Why is worked gas prob important in scientific research?

Worked gas prob is important in scientific research because it allows us to accurately determine the amount of gas consumed or produced in a system. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting chemical reactions and other processes involving gases.

5. Can worked gas prob be used for any gas?

Yes, worked gas prob can be used for any gas as long as the conditions are within the ideal gas law assumptions, such as low pressure and high temperature. However, for more accurate calculations, other equations and corrections may need to be applied for non-ideal gases.