What is the current in the loop

In summary, a piece of wire slides along two similar wires without friction with a resistance per unit length of 0.350 ohms/m. A constant magnetic field of 1.90 T is perpendicular to the loop. The distance between the parallel wires is 10.0 cm and at a velocity of 1.3 m/s, the loop length is 30.0 cm. The current in the loop is 0.88 A.
lloyd21

Homework Statement

A piece of wire slides, without friction, along two similar wires. The resistance per unit length of all wires is 0.350 ohms/m, and a constant magnetic field, B= 1.90T, points up, perpendicular to the loop. The distance between the parallel, fixed wires is 10.0cm. At the instant the sliding wires moves with velocity , v= 1.3 m/s, the loop length is L= 30.0cm. what is the current in the loop

Homework Equations

E = -d0 / dt
I=E/R

The Attempt at a Solution

0.350 ohms/m
B= 1.90 T
d = 0.1 m
V = 1.3m/s
L= 0.3 m
E = (1.90T)(0.13m/s) = 0.247V

Resistance in loop = (o.3m)90.350ohms/m) = 0.105 ohms

E= 2.47x10^-1 V
R= 1.05x10^-1 ohms

I = 2.47x10^-1 V / 1.05x10^-1 ohms = 2.35A

My answer is 2.35 A but was told that there is some change in quantity that I missed? I feel like that answer is correct, can anyone show me where I might have skipped a step or got my units wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you haven't accounted for all four sides comprising the loop when you calculated the resistance.

So I would have R = (0.3m)(0.350 ohm/m)(4) = 0.42 ohm?

lloyd21 said:
So I would have R = (0.3m)(0.350 ohm/m)(4) = 0.42 ohm?
No, check the problem description to find the dimensions of the loop. It's a rectangle, not a square.

width = 10.0cm (0.1m) length = 30cm (0.3m)

Rectangle area = 0.03m^2?

...i shouldn't be this confused haha

You want the perimeter.

width = 2(0.1m) length = 2(0.3m)
= 0.8 m haha! ?

Yes, 0.8 m total length for the perimeter. So what's the resistance of the loop?

R = (0.8m)(0.350ohm/m) = 0.28 ohm...?

lloyd21 said:
R = (0.8m)(0.350ohm/m) = 0.28 ohm...?
Yes. Use that in your current calculation.

I= E/R

I= 2.47x10^-1 V / 2.80x10^-1 ohm
I= 0.88 A

does that look better?

lloyd21 said:
does that look better?
Yes, that looks better.

Thank You!

What is the current in the loop?

The current in the loop refers to the flow of electric charge in a closed circuit. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage and resistance of the circuit.

How is current measured?

Current is measured using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of electrons and displays the value in amperes.

What factors affect the current in a loop?

The current in a loop is affected by the voltage of the power source and the resistance of the circuit. It follows Ohm's Law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

What is the difference between direct and alternating current?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction, while alternating current (AC) changes direction periodically. DC is commonly used in batteries, while AC is used in power grids.

How does current affect the components in a circuit?

The amount of current flowing through a component in a circuit can affect its performance and potentially damage it. Components are designed to handle a certain amount of current, so it is important to take this into consideration when designing a circuit.