What is the current induced in the loop when the area is π(b2 - a2)?

In summary: The book's answer is not actually correct, but is an artifact of their incorrect EMF calculation).In summary, The book's answer for the homework statement is incorrect because they incorrectly calculated the EMF's around the loop.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

emi.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The area of the loop is π(b2 - a2)

Emf induced E = Rate of change of flux = πk(b2 - a2)

Resistance of the wire R = 2πλ(a+b)

Current in the loop = E/R = [k(b2 - a2)]/[2λ(a+b)] .

This doesn't matches with the given answer .

Attachments

• emi.jpg
    emi.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 784
Physics news on Phys.org
Scratch that. I'll reply momentarily... (I was suggesting you factor ## b^2-a^2=(b-a)(b+a) ##, but from what I see what you have is incorrect)...[Editing note: The OP's solution is correct. The book has an error in their answer. It was difficult to see the OP's posting, so that in the following post, I misinterpreted the diagram. That later gets corrected in the discussion in the subsequent postings]. ## \\ ## In this problem, the EMF ## \mathcal{E} ## is larger around the outside part of the loop at radius ## b ## , than it is at radius ## r=a ##. The EMF will be a function of radius. For the outer part, the area in the ## \mathcal{E}=- \frac{d \Phi}{dt} ## equation is ## A=\pi b^2 ##. I think you may need to convert the resistance per unit length ## \lambda ## to a resisitivity ## \rho ##, with the assumption that the loop has thickness ## w ## which will ultimately drop out of the calculation, along with recognizing the other dimension is ## l=b-a ##, in order to compute resistivity ## \rho ## from ## \lambda ##.## \\ ## Meanwhile, current density ## J=\sigma E ## with ## \sigma=\frac{1}{\rho} ##, where ## E=E(r) ## is the induced electric field, and current density ## J=J(r) ##. The induced electric field at a radius ## r ## is calculated as ## E(r)= \frac{ \mathcal{E}(r)}{2 \pi r } ##. The current in the loop is then the current density integrated over a cross section of area: ## I=\int J(r) \, dA ##, where ## dA= w \, dr ##, and ## r ## goes from ## a ## to ## b ##. ## \\ ## Perhaps there is a simpler approach, but this is how I would approach the solution. From what I can tell, this problem is somewhat unique, and is not a simple one. ## \\ ## And note: The EMF on a loop of radius ## r## is given by ## \mathcal{E}(r)=-\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=- k \, \pi r^2 ##. You applied the EMF equation incorrectly in the OP. ## \\ ## And if my interpretation is correct, this is not an introductory E&M problem, but rather a somewhat advanced one. I provided more of the solution than is normally recommended for Homework Helpers to provide, because this one is not an introductory exercise. At least that is my interpretation. Again, perhaps someone else will see a simpler way of solving it. :) ## \\ ## And one other comment: The loop needs to be closed or you will get minimal current flowing. I question at this point the validity of the problem. If this is in an introductory course, the answer should presumably be zero. ## \\ ## Scratch my whole solution above: I thought the material covered the range between radius ## r=a ## and ## r=b ##. My mistake. :-)

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
Is the length of loop ##2 \pi (a+b) ## or something more ?

Likes Charles Link
PumpkinCougar95 said:
Is the length of loop ##2 \pi (a+b) ## or something more ?

Please neglect the extra length . What answer do you get ?

Same as yours.

Likes Jahnavi
@Charles Link , do you now agree that my answer in OP is correct ?

Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:
@Charles Link , do you now agree that my answer in OP is correct ?
I think the length of the path may be ## L=2 \pi (a+b)+2(b-a) ##. ## \\ ## Otherwise, factor ## b^2-a^2=(b-a)(b+a) ## and cancel the ## b+a ## upstairs and downstairs.

Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
upstairs and downstairs.

:biggrin:

Likes Charles Link
Sanity check: You can see from the geometry that the current should be zero for b=a. Your answer in the OP gives you that while the book's answer doesn't.

Likes Jahnavi and Charles Link
cnh1995 said:
Sanity check: You can see from the geometry that the current should be zero for b=a. Your answer in the OP gives you that while the book's answer doesn't.
I finally see the book's answer in the OP. (The OP is kind of difficult to read=I completely misinterpreted the diagram in my post 2, and the part with the book's answer isn't very legible). ## \\ ## Anyway, I see what the book did (incorrectly): They computed the EMF's as ##\mathcal{E}_b=-k\, \pi b^2 ## and ## \mathcal{E}_a=-k \, \pi a^2 ##,and added them, and they didn't realize the inner EMF is in the opposite direction as the outer one in supplying EMF to the loop. The EMF's are both counterclockwise, but the loop reverses direction, so these two EMF's necessarily get opposite signs, which is the case if you simply assume the area of interest is ## A=\pi (b^2-a^2) ##, and have the path of integration simply progress continuously around the loop.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi

Related to What is the current induced in the loop when the area is π(b2 - a2)?

1. What is current induced in a loop?

The phenomenon of current induced in a loop refers to the creation of an electric current in a closed circuit when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through the loop. This change can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the movement of a magnet, or the change in current in a nearby wire.

2. How is current induced in a loop?

The process of current induction in a loop is based on Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. This law states that when there is a change in the magnetic flux through a surface, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in any closed loop within that surface. This EMF then causes a current to flow in the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current induced in a loop?

The magnitude of current induced in a loop depends on several factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the loop. Additionally, the resistance of the loop and the material it is made of can also influence the magnitude of the induced current.

4. What are some applications of current induced in a loop?

Current induced in a loop has various applications in everyday life, as well as in scientific research. Some examples include generators, transformers, and electric motors, which all rely on the principle of electromagnetic induction. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and metal detectors.

5. How can current induced in a loop be controlled or manipulated?

There are several ways to control or manipulate the current induced in a loop. One method is by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field passing through the loop. Another way is by varying the number of turns in the loop, which can alter the induced current's magnitude. Additionally, using different materials with varying resistances can also affect the induced current in a loop.