What is the Degree of Field Extensions in Quotient Fields?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cap.r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cap.r
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


so this is a challenge problem that I need help getting started with.
given K a field and K(t) a quotient field over K. let u=f/g for f,g in K(t).
IF [K(t):K(u)] is finite then it is equal to max(deg f, deg g). Why is this true?

Homework Equations


K(t)----K(u)----K

[K(t):K] is infinite obviously since t is transcendental over K.

I can use anything up to Galois theory and although we didn't cover splitting fields yet, I don't think he will mind if i use them as long as it helps

The Attempt at a Solution


as an example I came up with this. f=t^2+1, g=t^3+t+1. then it is easy to see that [K(t):K(u)]=3 which is the max(deg f, deg g).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the direct approach?

Suppose without loss of generality that [tex]\deg f < \deg g[/tex]. There is a fairly simple set of [tex]\deg g[/tex] elements of [tex]K(t)[/tex] which you might try to prove is a basis for [tex]K(t)[/tex] over [tex]K(u)[/tex].
 
I am not sure if i understand the question anymore after reading your hint. what do elements in [tex]K(u)[/tex] look like?