Algebraic and normal field extensions.

In summary, if #L# is a normal subfield of an algebraic field extension #K# of a field #F#, then for any automorphism #\sigma# of #K# over #F#, #\sigma(L)=L#, meaning that #\sigma# permutes the roots of any polynomial over #F# with roots in #L#.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

Let [itex]K[/itex] be an algebraic field extension of a field [itex]F[/itex], and let [itex]L[/itex] be a subfield of [itex]K[/itex] such that [itex] F \subseteq L[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex] is normal in F. Show that if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is an automorphism of [itex]K[/itex] over [itex]F[/itex], then [itex]\sigma(L)=L[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I couldn't really prove anything. So I'm just looking for a hint that will help me get started...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of a normal extension?

micromass said:
What is your definition of a normal extension?

If [itex]f \in F[x][/itex] has one root in [itex]L[/itex], then it splits over [itex]L[/itex].

Take an element ##a\in L##. Use that ##K## is algebraic to find a polynomial ##f\in F[x]## such that ##f(a)=0##. What can you tell about ##f(\sigma(a))##?

micromass said:
Take an element ##a\in L##. Use that ##K## is algebraic to find a polynomial ##f\in F[x]## such that ##f(a)=0##. What can you tell about ##f(\sigma(a))##?

I'm guessing that I can assume that ##\sigma## fixes ##F## since it says "##\sigma## is an automorphism of ##K## over ##F##". If that's true, then

##f(a)=b_0 + b_1a + b_2a^2 + ... + b_na^n = 0##

So,

##f(\sigma(a))= b_0 + b_1\sigma(a) + ... + b_n\sigma(a) = \sigma(b_0+b_1a+...+b_na^n)= \sigma(0)=0.##

So ##\sigma(a)## must be a root of ##f##. But since #L# is normal, it must contain all the other roots of ##f##. So, basically, ##\sigma## just permutes the roots of a given polynomial over ##F## with roots in ##L##, meaning that ##\sigma(L)=L##. Is that correct?

Artusartos said:
I'm guessing that I can assume that ##\sigma## fixes ##F## since it says "##\sigma## is an automorphism of ##K## over ##F##". If that's true, then

#f(a)=b_0 + b_1a + b_2a^2 + ... + b_na^n = 0#

So,

#f(\sigma(a))= b_0 + b_1\sigma(a) + ... + b_n\sigma(a) = \sigma(b_0+b_1a+...+b_na^n)= \sigma(0)=0.#

So #\sigma(a)# must be a root of #f#. But since #L# is normal, it must contain all the other roots of #f#. So, basically, #\sigma# just permutes the roots of a given polynomial over #F# with roots in #L#, meaning that #\sigma(L)=L#. Is that correct?

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Likes 1 person

What is an algebraic field extension?

An algebraic field extension is a type of field extension in which every element is a root of a polynomial with coefficients in the base field. This means that every element in the extension can be expressed as a solution to a polynomial equation with coefficients from the original field.

What is a normal field extension?

A normal field extension is a type of algebraic field extension in which every irreducible polynomial in the base field has all of its roots in the extension field. This means that every element in the extension can be expressed as a solution to a polynomial equation with coefficients from the original field.

What is the difference between an algebraic and a transcendental field extension?

An algebraic field extension is one in which every element can be expressed as a root of a polynomial over the base field, while a transcendental field extension is one in which at least one element cannot be expressed in this way. In other words, a transcendental extension contains elements that are not algebraic over the base field.

What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the dimension of the extension field as a vector space over the base field. In other words, it is the number of basis elements required to span the extension field.

What are some applications of field extensions in mathematics and science?

Field extensions have many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in the study of algebraic structures and field theory. They are also used in various branches of engineering, including coding theory and cryptography. Additionally, field extensions have applications in physics, particularly in the study of field theories and quantum mechanics.