1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic and normal field extensions.

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]K[/itex] be an algebraic field extension of a field [itex]F[/itex], and let [itex]L[/itex] be a subfield of [itex]K[/itex] such that [itex] F \subseteq L[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex] is normal in F. Show that if [itex]\sigma[/itex] is an automorphism of [itex]K[/itex] over [itex]F[/itex], then [itex]\sigma(L)=L[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I couldn't really prove anything. So I'm just looking for a hint that will help me get started...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is your definition of a normal extension?

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    If [itex]f \in F[x][/itex] has one root in [itex]L[/itex], then it splits over [itex]L[/itex].

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Take an element ##a\in L##. Use that ##K## is algebraic to find a polynomial ##f\in F[x]## such that ##f(a)=0##. What can you tell about ##f(\sigma(a))##?

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    I'm guessing that I can assume that ##\sigma## fixes ##F## since it says "##\sigma## is an automorphism of ##K## over ##F##". If that's true, then

##f(a)=b_0 + b_1a + b_2a^2 + ... + b_na^n = 0##

So,

##f(\sigma(a))= b_0 + b_1\sigma(a) + ... + b_n\sigma(a) = \sigma(b_0+b_1a+...+b_na^n)= \sigma(0)=0.##

So ##\sigma(a)## must be a root of ##f##. But since #L# is normal, it must contain all the other roots of ##f##. So, basically, ##\sigma## just permutes the roots of a given polynomial over ##F## with roots in ##L##, meaning that ##\sigma(L)=L##. Is that correct?

7. Jul 29, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted