1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that an element is not in a field extension

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##K = \mathbb{Q} (1, a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n)##, which is the smallest field containing ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n##, where each ##a_i## is the square root of a rational
    number. Show that the cube root of 2 is not an element of K.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need some pointers. I am thinking about making an argument with degrees. That is, looking at the degree of ##K## over ##\mathbb{Q}## and seeing how that relates to the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3})## over ##\mathbb{Q}##, such as whether the latter is a divisor of the former.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Sounds good. Alternatively, by foot so to say, you could prove it by contradiction. Assume ##\sqrt[3]{2} \in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \ldots ,a_n)##. This means, there is a polynomial ##f(x_1,\ldots , x_n) \in \mathbb{Q}[x_1,\ldots , x_n]## with ##f(a_1,\ldots , a_n)^3=2##. Now use the fact, that all powers of the ##a_i## are either ##0## or ##1##, even in ##f^3##, and deduce the contradiction.

4. May 2, 2017 #3
    So just to be clear, is it correct to say that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}] = [\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_{n-1})] \cdots [\mathbb{Q}(a_1) : \mathbb{Q}] = 2^n##, while ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}] = 3##, and since the latter does not divide the former, ##2^{1/3} \not\in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)##?

Note that ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## denotes the degree of ##\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)## over ## \mathbb{Q}##

5. May 2, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes. Only a minor thought: If some ##\sqrt{a_i}## happen to be a rational itself or already contained in other ##\mathbb{Q}(a_i)##, which you haven't excluded, then the degree is only ##2^m < 2^n##. It doesn't change the argument, but it is a possibility.

Btw.: This is basically the reason, why one cannot construct the third of an angle only by compass and ruler.

6. May 2, 2017 #5
    Also, one last thing. Why must ##[\mathbb{Q}(2^{1/3}) : \mathbb{Q}]## divide ##[\mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n) : \mathbb{Q}]## in order for ##2^{1/3} \in \mathbb{Q}(a_1, \dots ,a_n)##? I want to make sure I have my reasons right

7. May 2, 2017 #6

fresh_42

For a tower of algebraic extensions ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2}) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)## we have
    $$
    2^m = [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \, \mathbb{Q}\,] = [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\,]\,\cdot \,[\,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\, : \,\mathbb{Q}\,]\\
    = [\,\mathbb{Q}(a_1,\ldots ,a_n)\, : \,\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})\,]\,\cdot \,3
    $$
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_a_field_extension#The_multiplicativity_formula_for_degrees)
    which is impossible. If you may not or don't want to use this, then you'll have to do the work (I think):

An induction should work and is somehow clearer to work with, than to deal with all ##a_i## in one step.
    Just write ##\sqrt[3]{2} = r_0 + r_1a_1## and show that this is impossible. All powers of ##a_1## greater than ##1## can be reduced, because ##a_1^2=r\in \mathbb{Q}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted