1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some true or false Field extension theory questions

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S= {e^2*i*pi/n for all n in the natural numbers} and let F=Q

Is F:Q
    1) algebraic?
    2) finite?
    3) simple?
    4)separable?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) Every element in S is a root of x^n-1 and every element of a in Q is a root of x-a, and thus I think somehow that means that the whole extension is algebraic is (i.e all the basis elements are algebraic and obviously all the elements of the base field are algebraic). Does this argument work? If not what would?

2) No. Every p in the natural numbers will be a basis that is linearly independent of all the elements before it, and there are infinite primes, so this will not be a finite extension.

3) I'm not sure. I want to say there was some theorem that algebraic extensions can ultimately be seen as simple but I'm not sure.

4) Yes, this extension is over Q where char(Q) = 0 so the extension is separable.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I guess you mean ##F=\mathbb{Q}(S)##.
    Yes. Although you don't need to mention the elements of ##\mathbb{Q}## itself. E.g. all real numbers are trivially algebraic over ##\mathbb{R}##, even if not over ##\mathbb{Q}##. Algebraic over itself is trivial, but your argument is correct.
    Yes. I don't think they are already a basis, because their powers until ##p-1## need to be included as well. However, they are linear independent and this is sufficient here.
    How could this be done with infinitely many elements in ##S##? Read the theorem again, I'm sure it states something like: Every finite algebraic extension ... As far as I remember, the argument here is to simply multiply all minimal polynomials.
    Not 100% sure whether separability applies to infinite extensions, too, but you're right. No multiple roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted