Field Extensions and Root Fields

But in this context, it's specifically for extensions of degree 2. So I guess root field is a more specific term.
jmjlt88
I have a quick question. How does the following look?

Proposition:

Every extension of degree 2 is a root field.

Proof:

Let F be a field. Let p(x) ε F[x] and suppose p(x) has degree n. Then p(x) has n roots, say c1,c2,...,cn. Let E be the extension of F that contains the aforementioned roots, and suppose [E:F]=2. Now, we know F(c1,c2,...,cn) is the root field of p(x) over F. Previously, we have shown that if an extension over a field is of a degree that is prime, then there is no proper field between the field and its extension*. The extension E clearly contains F, and by our hypothesis c1,c2,...,cnε E. Thus, F(c1,c2,...,cn) is subset of E. Then since,
F(c1,c2,...,cn) ≠ F, F(c1,c2,...,cn) = E. Hence, our extension is indeed a root field. QED

*I simply used the theorem that is analogous to LaGrange's Theorem for Finite Groups, but for fields!

Now, this is my "second version" of the proof. I am going back and trying to prove a few exercises different way. I am not sure if I set up my assumptions correctly. Any criticism would be very helpful! Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not correct.

Here, you basically assume the existence of a polynomial whose roots are in E. You can't do that.

What you have to do is assume that [E:F]=2 and actually prove that there's a polynomial whose roots are in E and that make E into a root field.

I knew something was dodgy about my assumptions. I just took another look at it. Here is an outline of how I want to prove it. (Before I write up the proof nicely, I usually write my solution line by line to make sure I have not made any unjustified statement.)

Every extension of degree 2 is a root field.

Proof: Let F be a field, and let E be an extension such that [E:F]=2.

1. Let {a,b} be our basis for E.

2. By defintion of a basis, every element of E can be written as a linear combination of {a,b} with coefficients in F.

3. Then F(a,b) is clearly a subset of E. But, if we let x ε E, then x is some linear combination of {a,b}. Hence, x ε F(a,b). [This statement may not be needed]

4. Thus, E=F(a,b)

5. Since E is a finite extention, every element in E is algebraic over F.

6. Let p(x) be the polynomial who roots are a, b. (i.e. p(x)=(x-a)(x-b))

7. Then, E is a root field for p(x) over F.

QED

Thank you for all the help! :)

jmjlt88 said:
6. Let p(x) be the polynomial who roots are a, b. (i.e. p(x)=(x-a)(x-b))

OK, but that's not good enough. You want the coefficient of p(x) to be elements of F. This is not always the case.

For example, [itex][\mathbb{C},\mathbb{R}]=2[/itex]. We can take a=i and b=1. Then [itex]p(x)=(x-1)(x-i)=x^2-(1+i)x+i[/itex] does not have its coefficients in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Hmmm...That's right.. (x-a)(x-b)ε E[x]. Just how (x+i)(x-i)ε C[x].

Maybe I said too much in Line 6. Would be suffice to just say that p(x) ε F[x] whose roots are a and b is the polynomial that E is the root field for over F?

jmjlt88 said:
Hmmm...That's right.. (x-a)(x-b)ε E[x]. Just how (x+i)(x-i)ε C[x].

Maybe I said too much in Line 6. Would be suffice to just say that p(x) ε F[x] whose roots are a and b is the polynomial that E is the root field for over F?

You have to check your definition of root field. I guess that a root field that is spanned by the roots of a polynomial whose coefficients are in F. So I think you do need to find a polynomial with coefficients in F.

You're right that for [itex][\mathbb{C}:\mathbb{R}][/itex], that you have to take (x+i)(x-i). Can you generalize this?

I had never heard of a root field until I read this post. When I learned ring theory, we referred to them as splitting fields :approve:

...I miss algebra.

christoff said:
I had never heard of a root field until I read this post. When I learned ring theory, we referred to them as splitting fields :approve:

Yeah, we used the term splitting field as well.

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves creating a larger field by adjoining new elements to an existing field. This is done to expand the range of numbers that can be represented in the field.

2. What is a root field?

A root field is a type of field extension where a new element is added to an existing field in order to satisfy a certain polynomial equation. This new element is called a root, and it allows for the solution of previously unsolvable equations.

3. How do you find the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the size of the new field relative to the original field. It is equal to the number of times the original field must be extended by new elements to reach the new field. This can be found by looking at the coefficients of the irreducible polynomial that defines the new elements.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite field extension?

A finite field extension involves adding a finite number of elements to an existing field, while an infinite field extension involves adding an infinite number of elements. In other words, a finite field extension has a finite degree, while an infinite field extension has an infinite degree.

5. How are field extensions used in other areas of science?

Field extensions are used in various areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are particularly useful in solving equations and problems involving complex numbers, which are commonly used in these fields. Additionally, field extensions are used in cryptography and coding theory to create more efficient and secure algorithms.