Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the derivation of this equation: d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)]

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    Hi,

Could someone please tell me how to derive this formula by using Wave Phenomenon

d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)]
    I think some of it is derived using Brewster's Principle and the Refractive Index but I cannot tell how?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to tell us more. What is this formula for, what is the physical significance of the variables it used, where did you come across, and what does that source say about the derivation?

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3
    Right! so I am trying to find the Refractive Index of liquids using a laser and diffraction grating.

So under by using this formula and deriving it further from here we can measure the RI.

upload_2016-9-25_23-47-42.png
    Here is the image for that. This it where it comes from.

t = thickness of container (constant)
    cos θ = angle of incidence and cos θ' = angle of refraction

n = RI of air and n' = R I of medium 2

There is nothing of how to derive it from the source but I have to understand how this came. If we further carry on this equation we end up here :

upload_2016-9-25_23-49-55.png

Thanks !

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted