What is the Derivative of a Cross Product?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
plmokn2
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] derivative of a cross product

Homework Statement


In some lecture notes I'm reading they jump straight from [tex]\frac{d}{d\mathbf{r}}( \frac{m}{2} |\mathbf{\omega}\times\mathbf{r}|^2)[/tex]
to
[tex]\mathbf{r}\omega^2-\mathbf{\omega}(\mathbf{\omega}.\mathbf{r})[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



It's easy to check this by writing out each component but this is messy so there's probably an easier way to do it. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
plmokn2 said:

Homework Statement


In some lecture notes I'm reading they jump straight from [tex]\frac{d}{d\mathbf{r}}( \frac{m}{2} |\mathbf{\omega}\times\mathbf{r}|^2)[/tex]
to
[tex]\mathbf{r}\omega^2-\mathbf{\omega}(\mathbf{\omega}.\mathbf{r})[/tex]
Surely not! There must be an m/2 in there!
Ignoring the constant m/2, [itex]|\omega\times r|^2= (\omega\times r)\cdot(\omega\times\r)[/itex]. Take the derivative of that, apply the product rule- which is true, for vectors, for both dot product and cross product: [itex](\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v})'= \vec{u} '\cdot\vec{v}+ \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v} '[/itex] and [itex](\vec{u}\times\vec{v})'= \vec{u} '\times\vec{v}+ \vec{u}\times\vec{v} '[/itex].
 
opps I forgot an m in the answer: sorry.

Thanks, I've solved it now.