1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming to a Rotating Reference Frame

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ## \mathbf{r} ## be the position of a point in a rigid body relative to some origin ##O##. Let ##\mathbf{R}## be the position of the centre of mass from that origin. ##\mathbf{r^{*}} = (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{R})##. ## d\boldsymbol{\phi} ## is the infitesimal vector directed along the axis of rotation, with magnitude of the rotation angle ##d\phi##. Then, show:

$$ \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{V}+\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$,

Where $$ \mathbf{v} = \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} \quad \mathbf{V}=\frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt} \quad \boldsymbol{\Omega} = \frac{d\boldsymbol{\phi}}{dt} $$

Further, assume ## \frac{d\boldsymbol{\Omega}}{dt} = \vec{0}## and prove:

$$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} =\frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt}+ 2 \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \big( \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \boldsymbol{r^{*}} \big) $$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it is possible I have got my origins muddled, here. The result for the velocity I can get to, after Landau [See Landau, Course of Theoretical Physics Vol 1, pg 96-97]

We realize that any displacement of the body (I think this is due to Euler's rotation theorem) can be thought of as a combination of a fixed axis rotation about the centre of mass, and a displacement of the centre of mass itself. So:

$$ d\mathbf{r} =d \mathbf{R} + d\boldsymbol{\phi} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$
    $$ \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$

As required. However, I then run into trouble when I want to look at ##d\mathbf{v}##. Can I write the following:

$$ d\mathbf{v} = d\mathbf{V} + d\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times d(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{R}) $$

Then:
    $$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt} + \frac{d\boldsymbol{\Omega}}{dt} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \bigg( \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}}\bigg) - \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt}$$

Which using the assumption about ##\boldsymbol{\dot{\Omega}}## and the definition ##\mathbf{V} = \frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt}## simplifies to:

$$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt} + \boldsymbol{\Omega}\times \big( \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} \big) $$

Which is completely missing the Coriolis term!! Where has it gone?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I'm not sure I agree with what this problem is attempting to prove. (I'd really need to look it over much more carefully, but a preliminary evaluation seems to suggest it may be incorrect.) The way I know it, any vector ## \vec{A} ## in a rotating frame has ## [\frac{d \vec{A}}{dt}]_o=\frac{d \vec{A}}{dt}+\Omega \times \vec{A} ##.(The subscript zero implies the true rate of change in the vector A, relative to the stationary frame. The unscripted rate of change of the vector A is that measured in the rotating frame.) In this case, the velocity of the particle is part of a rigid body, so that the velocity in the rotating frame of the particle is equal to zero. The Coriolis term, as I know it, involves the velocity in the rotating frame, and the velocity in this term is not the velocity ## V ## of the origin of the rotating frame relative to the origin of the fixed frame. I need to look this over further, but I'm not so sure the original problem is correctly stated. ## \\ ## Editing: The two dimensional case of a moving particle referenced to polar coordinates is worth considering. In this case the coordinate system rotates at ## \omega=\dot{\theta} ## and the particle moves along the rotating frame axis x'. ## \vec{v}=\dot{r} \hat{a}_r+r \dot{\theta} \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. The acceleration is computed and is ## \vec{a}=(\ddot{r} -r \dot{\theta}^2) \hat{a}_r+(2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta}+r \ddot{\theta}) \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. (Notice the ## 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta} ## Coriolis term.) In the problem at hand, ## \dot{r}=0 ## because the particle is part of a rigid body. If ## V ## is responsible for some ## \Omega ##, then you might get a Coriolis term out of it. If there was some ## v ## in the rotating frame, e.g. a non-zero ## \dot{r} ##, then a Coriolis term would appear... ## \\ ## Additional editing: As a counterexample as to why the expression can not be correct as given (with a ## 2 \Omega \times V ## term), consider a finite and large ## V ## and a large ## \Omega ## with the particle of interest close to the origin of the rotating frame=(close to center of mass, etc.). It then has a small velocity in the rotating frame, but the computed Coriolis term in the formula as given in the OP formula will be huge.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted