Transforming to a Rotating Reference Frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the position and velocity of a point in a rigid body relative to a fixed origin. It is shown that the velocity can be expressed as the sum of the velocity of the center of mass and the angular velocity of rotation of the body. The problem at hand attempts to prove an expression for the acceleration of the point, but it is suggested that the statement of the problem may be incorrect.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Let ## \mathbf{r} ## be the position of a point in a rigid body relative to some origin ##O##. Let ##\mathbf{R}## be the position of the centre of mass from that origin. ##\mathbf{r^{*}} = (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{R})##. ## d\boldsymbol{\phi} ## is the infitesimal vector directed along the axis of rotation, with magnitude of the rotation angle ##d\phi##. Then, show:

$$ \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{V}+\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$,

Where $$ \mathbf{v} = \frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} \quad \mathbf{V}=\frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt} \quad \boldsymbol{\Omega} = \frac{d\boldsymbol{\phi}}{dt} $$

Further, assume ## \frac{d\boldsymbol{\Omega}}{dt} = \vec{0}## and prove:

$$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} =\frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt}+ 2 \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \big( \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \boldsymbol{r^{*}} \big) $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think it is possible I have got my origins muddled, here. The result for the velocity I can get to, after Landau [See Landau, Course of Theoretical Physics Vol 1, pg 96-97]

We realize that any displacement of the body (I think this is due to Euler's rotation theorem) can be thought of as a combination of a fixed axis rotation about the centre of mass, and a displacement of the centre of mass itself. So:

$$ d\mathbf{r} =d \mathbf{R} + d\boldsymbol{\phi} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$
$$ \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} $$

As required. However, I then run into trouble when I want to look at ##d\mathbf{v}##. Can I write the following:

$$ d\mathbf{v} = d\mathbf{V} + d\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times d(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{R}) $$

Then:
$$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt} + \frac{d\boldsymbol{\Omega}}{dt} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \bigg( \mathbf{V} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}}\bigg) - \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt}$$

Which using the assumption about ##\boldsymbol{\dot{\Omega}}## and the definition ##\mathbf{V} = \frac{d\mathbf{R}}{dt}## simplifies to:

$$ \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{V}}{dt} + \boldsymbol{\Omega}\times \big( \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r^{*}} \big) $$

Which is completely missing the Coriolis term! Where has it gone?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I agree with what this problem is attempting to prove. (I'd really need to look it over much more carefully, but a preliminary evaluation seems to suggest it may be incorrect.) The way I know it, any vector ## \vec{A} ## in a rotating frame has ## [\frac{d \vec{A}}{dt}]_o=\frac{d \vec{A}}{dt}+\Omega \times \vec{A} ##.(The subscript zero implies the true rate of change in the vector A, relative to the stationary frame. The unscripted rate of change of the vector A is that measured in the rotating frame.) In this case, the velocity of the particle is part of a rigid body, so that the velocity in the rotating frame of the particle is equal to zero. The Coriolis term, as I know it, involves the velocity in the rotating frame, and the velocity in this term is not the velocity ## V ## of the origin of the rotating frame relative to the origin of the fixed frame. I need to look this over further, but I'm not so sure the original problem is correctly stated. ## \\ ## Editing: The two dimensional case of a moving particle referenced to polar coordinates is worth considering. In this case the coordinate system rotates at ## \omega=\dot{\theta} ## and the particle moves along the rotating frame axis x'. ## \vec{v}=\dot{r} \hat{a}_r+r \dot{\theta} \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. The acceleration is computed and is ## \vec{a}=(\ddot{r} -r \dot{\theta}^2) \hat{a}_r+(2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta}+r \ddot{\theta}) \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. (Notice the ## 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta} ## Coriolis term.) In the problem at hand, ## \dot{r}=0 ## because the particle is part of a rigid body. If ## V ## is responsible for some ## \Omega ##, then you might get a Coriolis term out of it. If there was some ## v ## in the rotating frame, e.g. a non-zero ## \dot{r} ##, then a Coriolis term would appear... ## \\ ## Additional editing: As a counterexample as to why the expression can not be correct as given (with a ## 2 \Omega \times V ## term), consider a finite and large ## V ## and a large ## \Omega ## with the particle of interest close to the origin of the rotating frame=(close to center of mass, etc.). It then has a small velocity in the rotating frame, but the computed Coriolis term in the formula as given in the OP formula will be huge.

Last edited:

1. What is a rotating reference frame?

A rotating reference frame is a coordinate system that is rotating with respect to an inertial reference frame. It is used to describe the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. Why is it important to transform to a rotating reference frame?

Transforming to a rotating reference frame is important because it allows us to simplify the equations of motion for objects that are moving in circular paths. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of these objects.

3. How is a rotating reference frame different from an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system that is not accelerating, while a rotating reference frame is a coordinate system that is rotating. In an inertial reference frame, Newton's laws of motion hold true, but in a rotating reference frame, there are additional terms that need to be taken into account.

4. What are some real-life examples of using a rotating reference frame?

A common example of using a rotating reference frame is when studying the motion of a spinning top or gyroscope. Another example is when analyzing the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system, which can be described using a rotating reference frame centered at the sun.

5. How is the transformation to a rotating reference frame mathematically represented?

The transformation to a rotating reference frame is represented by a set of equations known as the Euler equations. These equations describe the relationship between the coordinates in the rotating reference frame and the coordinates in the inertial reference frame. They take into account the rotation of the reference frame and the Coriolis and centrifugal forces acting on objects in the rotating frame.