What is the Derivative of f(x) = 3xlnx?

In summary, airken forgot to differentiate his original equation and was able to find the first derivative with help from another user.
airken1
if f(x)= 3x lnx, then f ' (x)=?

i used

f' ' (x)=3x(D lnx) + D (3x) (lnx)

f ' '(x)=3x (1/x) + 3 (lnx)

so... f ' '(x)=3+3lnx or 3(1+lnx).

unfortunately this isn't one of the possible answers given. could one of you kind folks help me understand where i went wrong?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: natural log derivative

Hello airken and welcome to MHB. :D

You have correctly applied the product rule, and your result is thus correct. Now, there are different ways to write this result, for example $f'(x)=\ln((ex)^3)$.

Can you list the possible choices so we can figure out which is equivalent?

edit: I see you have edited your post. You don't want to use a double-prime notation, unless you actually differentiate again. I assume you are to find the first derivative?

Wow! that was sooo fast. thank you for the help.
sorry, i should have thought to provide the answers
here they are.

a) 3+ln(x^3)
b) 1+ln(x^3)
c) (3/x)+3lnx
d) 3/(x^2)
e) 1/x

thank you again for the help
MarkFL said:

You have correctly applied the product rule, and your result is thus correct. Now, there are different ways to write this result, for example $f'(x)=\ln((ex)^3)$.

edit: I see you have edited your post. You don't want to use a double-prime notation, unless you actually differentiate again. I assume you are to find the first derivative?

Using the property $\ln(a^b)=b\cdot\ln(a)$, which one of those choices can be made to match your result?

sorry, you're right, couldn't see the first ' and thought i forgot it.
thank you for the help,
and thank you for explaining the law of logs, i was having probs with that.

i get A
and i hope my kid gets one too.

thanks again for the help

MarkFL said:

Yes, good work! A is the correct choice as:

$3+3\ln(x)=3+\ln(x^3)$

You did very well in presenting your problem, and you showed your work which made it easy to give help. :cool:

airken said:
if f(x)= 3x lnx, then f ' (x)=?

i used

f' ' (x)=3x(D lnx) + D (3x) (lnx)

f ' '(x)=3x (1/x) + 3 (lnx)

so... f ' '(x)=3+3lnx or 3(1+lnx).

unfortunately this isn't one of the possible answers given. could one of you kind folks help me understand where i went wrong?

It is just a matter of notation but this is not f'', the second derivative of f.

Did the problem ask you to find f' or f''?

[quore]thank you
[/QUOTE]

Hi Halls of Ivy,

thank you for taking the time to look at my post. this is an older post, i think about 3.5 years ago and MarkFl was kind enough to help me with it originally.
to your question, unfortunately I've forgotten all about this one, and couldn't tell you if i might have made a mistake when typing in the original question.

kid is now a junior at cal poly san luis obispo (computer engineering), and far beyond any math help i can give anymore.

thank you again to you and all here for your most generous time and efforts.

1. What is the natural log derivative?

The natural log derivative is the derivative of the natural logarithm function, denoted as ln(x), where x is the independent variable. It represents the rate of change of the natural logarithm as the independent variable changes.

2. How is the natural log derivative calculated?

The natural log derivative is calculated using the formula d/dx(ln(x)) = 1/x, where d/dx represents the derivative operator. This means that for any value of x, the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1 divided by that value of x.

3. What is the importance of the natural log derivative in mathematics?

The natural log derivative is important in mathematics because it is used to solve many problems involving exponential and logarithmic functions. It is also used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

4. How is the natural log derivative used in science?

The natural log derivative is used in science to model many natural phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of many physical systems.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the natural log derivative?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the natural log derivative. For example, it is used in finance and economics to model compound interest, in biology to describe the growth of populations, and in chemistry to determine reaction rates. It is also used in data analysis to normalize data and in machine learning algorithms to optimize models.