Maglev experiments and questions that could be answered

In summary, the student is struggling to come up with questions to ask about a basic maglev setup. They think using force sensors and pulling the train along a track might be a good route to go. They also think it might be simpler to focus on the levitation and magnetic propulsion separately.
DreadyCrocker
Hey all,

I have a group project for a Physics II course and the group I ended up with is wanting to do maglev as the focus of our project. I thought the girl that decided to do the maglev project had an idea of what questions she wanted to answer and experiments to perform based on her time in Japan and riding the maglev trains. This is not the case. I'm now scrambling to try to figure out what kind of questions could be answered with a general maglev experiment without the electro side nor super conductors. (Have the equipment to use super conductors but might be too beyond the scope of this class.)

Maybe my brain is fried, but I just can't think of what questions I could answer setting up a basic maglev setup. I could obviously very easily figure out the forces needed to levitate a train, just m*g.

I was thinking of using the force sensors found in most physics labs and maybe pushing or pulling the train along a track to figure out the forces required to move the train. Maybe using that info we could then write about how the electro magnetic trains create that propulsion force?

I'm sorry I'm so at a loss. If you've ever seen or done a maglev experiment and have any good ideas I'd love to hear them.

From a desperate physics student.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might get some ideas from youtube videos on the topic:

You could do a build study trying to determine how much weight could be carried based on the strength of the magnets or how fast it could go oe the effects of wind resistance or even the effects on people in the train like do they get nausea or is there some damping going on to prevent motion sickness.

If you google on it you might find things like this that can lead to questions for your experiment:

http://northeastmaglev.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-scmaglev

http://www.maglev2000.com/works/how-08.html

Likes DreadyCrocker
Once you have a continuous track where the vehicle is always hovering, propulsion is not much of a problem.
A fan would be enough, (a high bypass turbofan would be even better!)

Likes DreadyCrocker
rootone said:
Once you have a continuous track where the vehicle is always hovering, propulsion is not much of a problem.
A fan would be enough, (a high bypass turbofan would be even better!)
Wouldn't it be more practicable to use magnetic propulsion as well as levitation? After all, you have all the kit on board and all you need to do is to control the phases of currents in the coils, I believe.

I don't know, was just pointing out that the levitation system does not neccesarily have to do the propulsion as well.
In terms of making a working model it could be simpler to consider them as separate goals.
Things like finely tuned phasing of currents might present construction difficulties, you might need to experiment with one off coil designs and hope the idea works.
Basic magnetic levitation by itself can be done with off-the-shelf electromagnets.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is Maglev technology and how does it work?

Maglev technology is a type of transportation system that uses magnetic levitation to suspend and propel vehicles without the need for physical contact with a track or wheels. It works by using magnetic repulsion and attraction to lift and move the vehicle along a guideway.

2. How fast can Maglev trains travel?

Maglev trains have the potential to reach very high speeds, with the current record being 603 km/h (375 mph) achieved by a Maglev train in Japan. However, operational Maglev trains typically travel at speeds between 150-430 km/h (93-267 mph).

3. What are the advantages of Maglev technology?

Maglev technology offers several advantages, including high speeds, low maintenance, energy efficiency, and reduced noise pollution. It also has the potential to reduce travel time and increase transportation capacity.

4. What are some challenges associated with Maglev technology?

One of the main challenges with Maglev technology is the high cost of construction and implementation. Additionally, there are concerns about safety and the potential effects on wildlife and the environment. There is also the need for specialized infrastructure and the limited availability of Maglev systems.

5. How are Maglev experiments conducted and what are they used for?

Maglev experiments are typically conducted in a controlled laboratory setting using small-scale models or simulations. They can also be done on a larger scale using test tracks. These experiments are used to study the performance and feasibility of Maglev technology, as well as to make improvements and advancements in the field.