What is the different between the max stress and the von mise stress

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lorens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Max Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
Lorens
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
What is the different between the max stress in a structure and the von mise max stress in the same structure?

Kindly Lorens
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure if I'm answering your question as you want, but:

1. From my hazy recollection, the von Mieses "(max) stress" in a structure is the YIELD criterion of the structure; i.e, if the local stress exceeds that value, plastic flow will occur.

2. Max stress in a structure is simply that: the maximal stress value in the structure.

Clearly, the max stress in the structure must be below the von Mieses yield criterion to ensure that plastic flow does not occur.
 
But in Fem you often look into the von miese stress, and you can list the von mises stress for the diffrent nodes ...
 
Hmm..but that would surely mean the material has non-uniform properties (and, hence, different yield criteria)?
It is in principle unproblematic of making a non-constant yield stress function. In that case, the requirement is that the local stress does not exceed the local yield criterion.

I'll see if I get someone else to look in on the thread..

EDIT:
As kindly provided by another member, perhaps your problems are resolved by taking a look at:
http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm
 
Last edited:
Hi All
I m new here, I have few basic queries, if anyone can clarify on same.
Que1):-For any linear static FEA analysis,w hy do we consider mostly Voin Misses stresses?Why not Principal or any other stresses ?
Que2):-Does Epsilon Values depends on elasticity or Density?