1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the different between the max stress and the von mise stress

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    What is the different between the max stress in a structure and the von mise max stress in the same structure?

Kindly Lorens

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm not quite sure if I'm answering your question as you want, but:

1. From my hazy recollection, the von Mieses "(max) stress" in a structure is the YIELD criterion of the structure; i.e, if the local stress exceeds that value, plastic flow will occur.

2. Max stress in a structure is simply that: the maximal stress value in the structure.

Clearly, the max stress in the structure must be below the von Mieses yield criterion to ensure that plastic flow does not occur.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3
    But in Fem you often look in to the von miese stress, and you can list the von mises stress for the diffrent nodes ...

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..but that would surely mean the material has non-uniform properties (and, hence, different yield criteria)?
    It is in principle unproblematic of making a non-constant yield stress function. In that case, the requirement is that the local stress does not exceed the local yield criterion.

I'll see if I get someone else to look in on the thread..

EDIT:
    As kindly provided by another member, perhaps your problems are resolved by taking a look at:
    http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  6. Oct 14, 2010 #5
    Hi All
    I m new here, I have few basic queries, if anyone can clarify on same.
    Que1):-For any linear static FEA analysis,w hy do we consider mostly Voin Misses stresses?Why not Principal or any other stresses ?
    Que2):-Does Epsilon Values depends on elasticity or Density?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?