What Is the Direction of the Magnetic Force on a Proton?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eric.c
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
QUESTION 1

Homework Statement



Determine the magnetic force acting on an proton (m = 1.67 x 10-27 kg) moving at 2.9 x 106 m/s in a magnetic field of 6.8 T. The proton is moving south. The magnetic field points straight down.

Homework Equations



F = qvBsinø

The Attempt at a Solution



I assumed that down means into the earth, and south means bearing to the south pole, so ø is 90°. I solved the equation and F = 3.2E-12N

However, I can't seem to figure out the direction of the force.


QUESTION 2

Homework Statement



Determine the direction of force that the proton experiences in traveling through the field. Remember that the X represents that the magnetic field points into the page.

R90OJ.png


Homework Equations



none that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't even know where to start. :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Fleming's Left Hand Rule to figure it out