What is the distance and speed of a car with constant acceleration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScienceGirl90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration Car
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ScienceGirl90
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car is moving at 50.0 m/s and brakes to a halt in 6.00 seconds.
(1)From the time it starts braking, how far does the car travel before the car comes to a halt if its acceleration is constant?
(2)What is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?


Homework Equations


v=a*t+vo


The Attempt at a Solution


I really just don't where to start with this problem. I'm confused! Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you listed will get you the acceleration, but for the distance you'll need

[tex]v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2ad[/tex]
 
Ok thank you! I was able to find the distance for question one but I am still stuck as to what is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?
 
ScienceGirl90 said:
Ok thank you! I was able to find the distance for question one but I am still stuck as to what is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?

Just use the first formula you gave in your original post. Pay attention to your signs and you'll be golden.