What is the distance at which an antenna can receive signal?

In summary: That's what I meant by "it is just a constant factor you have to fix". You have to figure out what this constant factor is.
Shostakovich

Homework Statement

Assume that the power radiated by the television transmitter uniformly fills the upper hemisphere. A UHF television with a single-turn circular loop antenna of radius 8 cm requires a maximum induced voltage above 24 mV for operation.

The speed of light is 2.99792 × 108 m/s.

Find the distance d at which reception is lost from a 569 kW transmitter operating at 0.16 GHz.

Answer in units of km

Homework Equations

dE/dx = -dB/dt
E_induced = -N(dMFlux/dt)
E = E_0 cos(k(x - vt)) (where v = c)
k = 2Pi / lambda
S = P_tran / (2Pir^2) (not 4Pir^2 because its a hemisphere, so only half)
S = E_0^2 /(mu_naught * c * 2)
lambda = c/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I found -dB/dt with the wave function, took the derivative of E = E_0 cos(k(x - vt)), got dE/dx to be -.5*k*E_0.
Set them equal, solved for E_0, and got (-dB/dt * lambda) / Pi.
I then set the poynting vectors equal so P_tran / (2Pid^2) = E_0^2 /(mu_naught * c * 2), which when solved for r is

d = ((P_tran * mu_naught * c)/(Pi * E_0^2))^(1/2)

I ended up with a value or arbitrary units, no where near what it should be.
What am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shostakovich said:
got dE/dx to be -.5*k*E_0.
Where does the .5 come from?

What did you get for E0?

Where did you use the size of the antenna?

Where did the units start to get inconsistent? It would help if you write down the actual equations instead of describing them.

mfb said:
Where does the .5 come from?

What did you get for E0?

Where did you use the size of the antenna?

Where did the units start to get inconsistent? It would help if you write down the actual equations instead of describing them.

.5 gives the average of the sinusoidal function.

E_0 = (V*lambda)/(Pi^2*r_ant^2) (according the my calculation of using the wave equation to derivate E_0).

The size of the antenna is used in E_0, because you're calculating the induced voltage through the loop.

The units are consistent until the very end when i set there Poynting values equal to each other and solve for d.

Shostakovich said:
.5 gives the average of the sinusoidal function.
It does not. The average first derivative of a sinus function is zero. And why do you want to take the average?

Shostakovich said:
The size of the antenna is used in E_0
Sure, but that is not clear from the first post.

The units are consistent until the very end when i set there Poynting values equal to each other and solve for d.
How do you get inconsistent units there? Looks like power/area in both formulas.

Sorry about it not being clear.
But I'm obviously lost then!
That's what I mean, I don't know WHY the units are wrong, I just know that when I plugged them into Wolfram Alpha to double check, they were very wrong!

Where would you recommend I start? Did I start on the right path and veer off? If so, where?

Shostakovich said:
Where would you recommend I start?
Start with showing your actual work here (every step), otherwise it is impossible to tell what went wrong.
Shostakovich said:
I just know that when I plugged them into Wolfram Alpha to double check, they were very wrong!
Why don't you copy the WolframAlpha query to this thread?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645397.080268.jpg

Is my 4th step correct, before I continue? Hopefully everything is clearer now though!

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645579.653822.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645597.754145.jpg

Sorry, that came out a lot less clear than I wanted.
If you sill can't read it I'll upload it to imgur or drop box or something.

Here is the wolfram alpha interpretation,

Last edited:
Technically mu_0 * c gives you 377 Ohms, i thought wolfram alpha would deal with it, but it did not.
I see what i did, I didn't square V/m. Ok, back to business then, is my 4th step correct, or no?

Last edited:
Hmm, nice relation with ##\mu_0 c##.

Where did you square E_0?

mfb said:
Where did you square E_0?
The units were stupid on my part! The problem is still knowing what E_0 is though.

dE/dx is right, the relationship to E_0 is the last missing step. And it is just a constant factor you have to fix.

mfb said:
dE/dx is right, the relationship to E_0 is the last missing step. And it is just a constant factor you have to fix.

So, are you saying dE/dx = -κ* Eo is incorrect?

Last edited:
Shostakovich said:
So, are you saying dE/dx = -κ* Eo is incorrect?
For all of those in the future who come seeking a solution, this is it.
keep going from where i left off, plug and chug by setting energy flux of the transmitter (P_tran / 2 Pi d^2 ) equal to (E_0^2 / 2 mu_0 c).
Then solve for d!

1. What is the maximum distance an antenna can receive a signal from?

The maximum distance an antenna can receive a signal from depends on several factors such as the type of antenna, the frequency of the signal, and any obstacles or interference in the signal path. In general, the maximum distance can range from a few miles for a small antenna to hundreds of miles for a large, high-gain antenna.

2. How does the frequency of the signal affect the distance at which an antenna can receive it?

The frequency of the signal plays a significant role in determining the distance at which an antenna can receive it. Higher frequency signals have shorter wavelengths and are more susceptible to obstacles and interference, limiting the maximum distance they can travel. Lower frequency signals have longer wavelengths and can travel further, making them more suitable for long-distance communication.

3. Can the placement or orientation of the antenna affect its ability to receive a signal at a certain distance?

Yes, the placement and orientation of an antenna can greatly impact its ability to receive a signal at a certain distance. Antennas are designed to be most effective when they are pointed towards the source of the signal, with minimal obstructions in the signal path. Moving or rotating an antenna can improve its ability to receive a signal at a specific distance.

4. Are there any techniques or technologies that can extend the distance at which an antenna can receive a signal?

Yes, there are various techniques and technologies that can extend the distance at which an antenna can receive a signal. For example, using a higher gain antenna, adding a signal amplifier, or implementing advanced signal processing techniques can all improve the range of an antenna. Additionally, using directional antennas and utilizing line-of-sight communication can also extend the distance at which a signal can be received.

5. Is there a limit to the distance at which an antenna can receive a signal?

There is no specific limit to the distance at which an antenna can receive a signal, as it depends on the factors mentioned above. However, there are practical limitations based on the technology and equipment used. For example, for satellite communication, the curvature of the Earth may limit the distance at which a signal can be received. Additionally, the strength and quality of the signal may decrease significantly over long distances, making it difficult for the antenna to receive it.