1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the distance at which an antenna can receive signal?

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that the power radiated by the television transmitter uniformly fills the upper hemisphere. A UHF television with a single-turn circular loop antenna of radius 8 cm requires a maximum induced voltage above 24 mV for operation.

The speed of light is 2.99792 × 108 m/s.

Find the distance d at which reception is lost from a 569 kW transmitter operating at 0.16 GHz.

Answer in units of km

2. Relevant equations
    dE/dx = -dB/dt
    E_induced = -N(dMFlux/dt)
    E = E_0 cos(k(x - vt)) (where v = c)
    k = 2Pi / lambda
    S = P_tran / (2Pir^2) (not 4Pir^2 because its a hemisphere, so only half)
    S = E_0^2 /(mu_naught * c * 2)
    lambda = c/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found -dB/dt with the wave function, took the derivative of E = E_0 cos(k(x - vt)), got dE/dx to be -.5*k*E_0.
    Set them equal, solved for E_0, and got (-dB/dt * lambda) / Pi.
    I then set the poynting vectors equal so P_tran / (2Pid^2) = E_0^2 /(mu_naught * c * 2), which when solved for r is

d = ((P_tran * mu_naught * c)/(Pi * E_0^2))^(1/2)

I ended up with a value or arbitrary units, no where near what it should be.
    What am i doing wrong?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where does the .5 come from?

What did you get for E0?

Where did you use the size of the antenna?

Where did the units start to get inconsistent? It would help if you write down the actual equations instead of describing them.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    .5 gives the average of the sinusoidal function.

E_0 = (V*lambda)/(Pi^2*r_ant^2) (according the my calculation of using the wave equation to derivate E_0).

The size of the antenna is used in E_0, because you're calculating the induced voltage through the loop.

The units are consistent until the very end when i set there Poynting values equal to each other and solve for d.

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It does not. The average first derivative of a sinus function is zero. And why do you want to take the average?

Sure, but that is not clear from the first post.

How do you get inconsistent units there? Looks like power/area in both formulas.

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5
    Sorry about it not being clear.
    But I'm obviously lost then!
    That's what I mean, I don't know WHY the units are wrong, I just know that when I plugged them in to Wolfram Alpha to double check, they were very wrong!

Where would you recommend I start? Did I start on the right path and veer off? If so, where?

7. Dec 3, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Start with showing your actual work here (every step), otherwise it is impossible to tell what went wrong.
    Why don't you copy the WolframAlpha query to this thread?

8. Dec 3, 2014 #7
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645397.080268.jpg

Is my 4th step correct, before I continue? Hopefully everything is clearer now though!

9. Dec 3, 2014 #8
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645579.653822.jpg ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1417645597.754145.jpg

Sorry, that came out a lot less clear than I wanted.
    If you sill can't read it I'll upload it to imgur or drop box or something.

10. Dec 3, 2014 #9
    Here is the wolfram alpha interpretation,

11. Dec 3, 2014 #10

mfb

2016 Award

12. Dec 3, 2014 #11
    Technically mu_0 * c gives you 377 Ohms, i thought wolfram alpha would deal with it, but it did not.
    I see what i did, I didn't square V/m. Ok, back to business then, is my 4th step correct, or no?

13. Dec 3, 2014 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm, nice relation with ##\mu_0 c##.

Where did you square E_0?

14. Dec 3, 2014 #13
    The units were stupid on my part! The problem is still knowing what E_0 is though.

15. Dec 3, 2014 #14

mfb

2016 Award

dE/dx is right, the relationship to E_0 is the last missing step. And it is just a constant factor you have to fix.

16. Dec 3, 2014 #15
    So, are you saying dE/dx = -κ* Eo is incorrect?

17. Dec 3, 2014 #16
    For all of those in the future who come seeking a solution, this is it.
    keep going from where i left off, plug and chug by setting energy flux of the transmitter (P_tran / 2 Pi d^2 ) equal to (E_0^2 / 2 mu_0 c).
    Then solve for d!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted