1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's double slit experiment: Determine thickness of mica

1. Aug 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sheet of mica ( approximate 6-7 µm) covers one slit
    of a double-slit apparatus and has a n= 1.582. There is a central maximum of 539 nm. What is the exact thickness of the sheet of mica?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think you can solve this with the number of wavelengths that go throug the sheet? But I'm a but stuck on the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.

It seems like the question is implying that the central peak is still central for light of wavelength 539 nm. So the change in optical path when putting the mica on one side is an integral number of wavelengths. The optical path in air (treated as n=1, the n of air is something like 1.0003) is just the distance. The optical path in the mica with n>1 is n * the distance.

Is that enough of a hint?

4. Aug 7, 2015 #3
    So, I need to find the opitcal path in the mica? Wich is n times the distance of air? I understand i correctly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted