What is the distance covered by an object thrown in viscous matter?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hastings
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dynamic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
hastings
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
an object with mass m=0.1kg is thrown with an initial velocity v0=20m/s in a viscous matter that exercises a resistant force of F=-Bv (B=2kg/s and v=velocity). ignoring the gravity force, find the distance covered by the object in the viscous medium.

I tried this
F=-Bv=ma => a=(-Bv)/m;
a=(dv)/dt => dv/dt=(-Bv)/m --> v dv=(-Bv)/m *dt
integrating I get

[tex]-\frac{B}{m}t=\log v - \log 20[/tex]

since ds/dt=v

[tex]v=e^{-\frac{B}{m}t + \log 20}[/tex]

then integrate again [tex]\int{ds}=\int {e^{-\frac{B}{m}t + \log 20}dt[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much easier to use a = vdv/dx , than a=d2s/dt2
 
sorry didn't get you. dv/dx? How is it ? Am I on the right track?

[tex]s=\frac{C}{\alpha}e^{\alpha t}[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha=-\frac{B}{m} \mbox{ and } C=e^{\log 20}[/tex]

I know everything except t;
 
No, i meant
[tex]a =v\times\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

If you don't know how this equation arises, just try dividing its RHS numerator and denominator by dt.
 
Any hint that could help me solve this problem is appreciated.
 
Okay let me make it a lot more simpler for you.
a=dv/dt
= (dx/dt)*dv/((dx/dt)*dt) {Multiplying numerator and denominator by dx/dt}
= v*dv/dx
Do u get me now?
 
Last edited:
Could be interresting to use the energy theorem.
The energy dissipated by the friction force is easy to calculate.