What is the distance of the third charge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter haengbon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
haengbon
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Three point charges, 3.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]c, -5.0[tex]\mu[/tex]c and 0 [tex]\mu[/tex]c.

If the distance from point 1 (3.0) and point 2 (-5.0) is 40m, what is the distance from point 2 to point 3?

Homework Equations



coulombs law


[b

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know how to start this :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is not clear. Whether the third body is neutral?
Are they in equilibrium?
 
I'm not really sure since I only remembered this problem by memory :( but if the third body WAS neutral and they ARE in equilibrium, how would you answer this? :D
 
haengbon said:
I'm not really sure since I only remembered this problem by memory :( but if the third body WAS neutral and they ARE in equilibrium, how would you answer this? :D
If the third body WAS neutral and they cannot be in equilibrium
 
rl.bhat said:
If the third body WAS neutral and they cannot be in equilibrium

um, if that's so, is it then possible to be solved?

I need to use this formula :D ?

Fe = [tex]\frac{ Kq1q2 }{ r2 }[/tex]
 
No. Just think about it. If the third body is neutral, the other two would attract each other, accelerate towards each other, and eventually collide.