What Is the Distance Ratio Based on Sound Intensity Levels?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
raindrops
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Harry and Sally are sitting on opposite sides of a circus tent when and elephant trumpets a loud blast. If Harry experiences a sound intensity level of 65dB and Sally only 55dB, what is the ratio of the distance between Sally and the elephant to the distance between the elephant and Harry?

Homework Equations



I=P/(4piR^2)
B=10log(I/10^-12)

The Attempt at a Solution



65=10log(I/10^-12)
so I(harry)=10^-5.5

55=10log(I/10^-12)
so I(sally)=10^-6.5

*I have no idea where to go from here or if that was even the correct first step to take.

If I knew the Power(P), I would be able to find the radius and get distance from that, but I don't have a way to calculate that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to know the power; it remains the same for both Harry and Sally ie dependent only on the source.
Thus we can simply obtain the relation of Intensity being inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. It is then a matter of using ratios to solve the problem.
 
I'm not very good with ratios. Let me know if I did this right.

65=1/R^2 so R=.124

55=1/R^2 so R=.134

ratio is .124:.134 ?
 
You shouldn't equate like that and solve for 'R'; its not mathematically correct. Also, are you sure you are supposed to use the dB value?

[tex]\frac{I_{Sally}}{I_{Henry}} = \frac{r_{Henry}^{2}}{r_{Sally}^{2}}[/tex]