What is the distance travel by the ball when the time is 1 sec?

In summary: The answer to the 2nd question is 10secs. If you calculate the area under the graph, it is 100m. This is what the question is asking us to find.
huagulong
i throw a ball upwards
reach highest point at 3secs later
what is the distance travel by the ball when the time is 1 sec?
take g = 10m/s^2

another is
a car deccelerates from 20m/s at a rate of 2ms^2...
how long does it take to reach 100m

im trying to explain it to my younger brother. but I am not sure how to. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
huagulong said:
I'm trying to explain it to my younger brother. but I am not sure how to. can anyone help?
Really? Well, what has 'younger brother' tried to do already? Has 'he' looked at his class notes or text?

for the first question.

i manage to find the initial speed which was 30m/s. i derive it through the formulae

(v1-v2)/t = acc. so i drew out the v/t graph, and calcuate the area under graph when the time is 1sec. i got 25m.

the 2nd question. i use the same formulae (v1-v2)/t =acc. to find out the time. which is 10secs. if i calculate the area under graph, it's 100m. which is what the question is asking us to find.

is the method i used viable? or is there a simpler method for people to understand better?

i got another query. can i just find out the average speed for both of the question. and then use it to find the answer?

i can't get it for the 1st question. but i can get the answer for the 2nd one.

huagulong said:
i got another query. can i just find out the average speed for both of the question. and then use it to find the answer?
Yes, since the acceleration in both cases in constant, you can use the average velocity to compute the answer.
huagulong said:
i can't get it for the 1st question. but i can get the answer for the 2nd one.
If you post your attempts perhaps we can show you where your going wrong.

for the 1st question.:

i calculate out the initial speed which was 30m/s. and drew out the v/t graph.
using the graph i found out that the total distance traveled during the 3secs is 45m.
so the average speed would be 45/3 which is 15m/s.

i need to find out the distance traveled in 1sec. which would be 15m.
but the answer is 25m.

anyone?

1. What is the formula for calculating distance traveled?

The formula for calculating distance traveled is distance = (velocity x time). This means that the distance traveled is directly proportional to the velocity and time.

2. How do you measure the time and velocity of the ball?

The time can be measured using a stopwatch or any other time-keeping device. The velocity of the ball can be measured using a speedometer or by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken.

3. Is the distance traveled affected by the weight of the ball?

Yes, the weight of the ball can affect the distance traveled. Heavier balls tend to have more inertia and therefore require more force to move, resulting in a shorter distance traveled in the same amount of time compared to lighter balls.

4. Can air resistance affect the distance traveled by the ball?

Yes, air resistance can affect the distance traveled by the ball. It can slow down the ball's velocity and therefore decrease the distance traveled in a certain amount of time.

5. Is the distance traveled the same in all directions?

No, the distance traveled can vary depending on the direction in which the ball is moving. For example, if the ball is thrown at an angle, the horizontal distance traveled will be different from the vertical distance traveled.