What is the distance traveled by the block in the next 5.70 s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Distance traveled
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Heat
Messages
272
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 74.0 N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 13.0 m in a time 4.50 s.

If the worker stops pushing at the end of 4.50 s, how far does the block move in the next 5.70 s?

Homework Equations



F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved for mass, using the equation,

m = 57.6


now that I know mass

how do I get started?

I tried doing (74/57.6)5.70
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the mass in this question or the force. You just need the velocity at the end of the 4.50s.

Then you answer would be v*5.70s
 
Heat said:
velocity should be then 13/4.50? am i right..

No. That is only for constant velocity... the block is accelerating.